8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 3:12 PM by k-brady1

How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??

k-brady1

We have Expedition libraries that were created by using the BoardStation to Expedition translator and we have some incorrect values for the refdes property.  I want to process all cells in every partition of the library and retrieve the value for the RefDes property and if it is not $$_^$REF then I simply want to log the partition/cell name to a file for review.  Documentation for the cell editor states that the property is RefDes.  I have tried to use FindProperty("RefDes") and FindProperty("Ref Des") and both return null.  

• 1. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
          andrew.french

Yep, we had similar issues and had to do a lot of clean up after the translation as well.  We ended up just shelving that library and picking parts from it as needed.  I write my code in C# so you may need to do some conversions of your own but this should get you going in the right direction.  the assembly and silkscreen items are fabrication items and you can target them more specifically if need be.

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

string lib = label1.Text;

if (lib == "Select a Library")

{

MessageBox.Show(this, "You must select a library(lmc) file before proceeding!", Application.ProductName, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);

return;

}

//Create handle to the cell editor using the library specified in the global variables section

CellEditorAddinLib.CellEditorDlg cellEd = new CellEditorAddinLib.CellEditorDlg();

CellEditorAddinLib.CellDB cellDB = cellEd.OpenDatabase(lib, false);

//Get the collection of partitions in the library and iterate through them

CellEditorAddinLib.Partitions partitions = cellDB.get_Partitions();

foreach (CellEditorAddinLib.Partition p in partitions)

{

//Get the collection of cells in the current partition and iterate through them

CellEditorAddinLib.Cells cells = p.get_Cells();

foreach (CellEditorAddinLib.Cell c in cells)

{

//Open the current cell with the Cell Editor and create a handle to it

MGCPCB.Document ExpDoc = c.Edit();

MGCPCB.Application ExpApp = (MGCPCB.Application)ExpDoc.Application;

MGCPCB.EPcbUnit unit = ExpDoc.CurrentUnit;

//Lock the server for better performance

ExpApp.LockServer();

//Make all cell edits here

MGCPCB.FabricationLayerTexts txts = ExpDoc.get_FabricationLayerTexts();

foreach (MGCPCB.FabricationLayerText txt in txts)

{

//Make your Cell edits here

}

//Release handle on cell editor

ExpApp.UnlockServer();

ExpDoc.Close(true);  //saves cell

ExpDoc = null;

ExpApp = null;

} //cells

} //partitions

//Save and exit out of the Library and release handles

cellEd.SaveActiveDatabase();

cellEd.Quit();

cellEd = null;

cellDB = null;

//log.Close();

//log = null;

Application.Exit();

}

• 2. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
            andrew.french

where it says //Make Cell Edits here

To determine if the item is a refdes you'll need to add

if(txt.TextType == MGCPCB.EPcbTextType.epcbTextRefDes)

{

//do something

}

• 3. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
              k-brady1

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for the assistance!!  I will test this and let you

know.

• 4. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
                k-brady1

Hi Andrew,

I have successfully implemented/tested your code.  I'm still a little

confused about this...  I had understood from the documentation that there

should be a property RefDes in the cell and obviously this is not the case.

I had code that looped thru all properties on each cell but it was only

User properties.  How did you figure out that this data was stored in the

FabricationLayerText??  Also, is it the text "Ref Des" that is significant

or the use of $$_^$REF which I assumed replaced with the reference

designator text on an instance in a board??  Again, thank you so much for

your help!!

• 5. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
                  andrew.french

I guess I am confused at what you are looking for.  The only place the ref des will appear on a cell in the cell editor is on the silkscreen and/or assembly layers.  In the cell editor, this will appear literally as the text "Ref Des"

It sounds like to me you're looking for the ref des prefix in the part editor? I've never seen $$_^REF before.  Where are you seeing this?

• 6. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
                    k-brady1

HI Andrew,

If I use CellDB2HKP, the error condition that I'm trying to trap is the

following error condition for the assembly/silkscreen reference designator.

This situation occurs if someone forgets to run a clean-up utility on the

cells that are being translated from BoardStation.

..TEXT "$$_^$REF"

...TEXT_TYPE REF_DES

vs.

..TEXT "Ref Des"

...TEXT_TYPE REF_DES

I need to identify cells that have the Text "$$_^$REF" vs "Ref Des".  If I

retrieve txt.TextString I am getting "Ref Des" vs. $$_^$REF.

So the code looks like:

• 7. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
                      k-brady1

Hi Andrew,

It appears that the cell editor is correcting this data which explains why

I can't detect the bad value.  Our librarian saw the bad value using

preview.  If I preview the cell in library manager I see the text $$_^$REF.

Now if I open the cell in the cell editor and do nothing other than save

it, this text has changed from $$_^$REF to Ref Des so as part of opening

the cell in the cell editor this data item was updated.  I will get with

our librarians to determine if there is another data item that persists in

the cell editor that we can use to detect when the cells have not been

processed with the clean-up script.  Thank you so much for all of your help

with this!!

• 8. Re: How can I retrieve the refdes property on a cell??
                        k-brady1

Hi Andrew,

Our process is to run the translator and then a clean-up script on the

cells.  One of our librarians noticed some strange text for the reference

designator in the cell preview window, i.e. $$_^$REF.  This text would

normally be corrected by the clean-up script but apparently some cells were

loaded into the library before the script was run so I wanted to write a

utility to identify these cells.  In reviewing the clean-up script, it was

responsible for generating the silkscreen reference designator so instead

of looking for this translator value as the text field content I have

changed the code to identify cells that did not have a SilkScreen Reference

Designator.  Originally the code was testing for a fabrication layer text

item value of $$_^$REF without success even though this value was displayed

in the preview window.  The cell editor must automatically change the value

of $$_^$REF to Ref Des.  After much confusion I determined that if I opened

the cell in the cell editor (required by the automation) and did nothing to

the cell other than save it, that the value of $$_^$REF had been changed to

Ref Des.  I have no idea why the cell editor is automatically making this

update to the cell.  So I have resolved my issue and thank you again for

your help.