1 2 First Previous 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 6:56 AM by Joel_Pointon

Connector Information Reports

CO2

Hello all,

I am looking to extract connector information in a format to be used in a Service Manual.  Is there a way I can pull information from multiple harnesses and create a document containing all connector names, connector pinouts, and connector images (images are in Vesys components, imported when making a harness drawing)??

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Connector Information Reports
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Chris,

You can but it wouldn't be a simple click of a button, VeSys has all of the data you need but you would need a script/program to pull all of this data together.  I've considered writing something like this but just haven't got round to it, the way I was going to do it was to export the data from a full vehicle schematic (with all of the sheets in one drawing) and then select terminals as this is not done by VeSys Design.  The problem with using Harness data is that they are all seperate files and so you'd need to pull them all together or store them in one location.

• 2. Re: Connector Information Reports
            CO2

I found using the "Connector Reports" function, you can get a list of the connectors with the pinouts.  It would almost seem easier to use the info from the Harness data so it includes the part numbers and possibly the connector image.  I really dont have the background to develop a script for a program.  How hard is it to develop something like this??

Thanks

Chris

• 3. Re: Connector Information Reports
              Joel_Pointon

Although the Harness Reports do have most of the detail you require you will have to go through every harness and manually generate the reports each time you want to generate the documentation.  The next problem you will encounter is that the reports are in html format, this is not as useful as a comma delimited or xml file (because the format can easily be changed by Mentor without actually making the report look any different) and you will still need some programming/scripting knowledge in order to manipulate the files into one document (the images are not stored in the html they are externally referenced).

The reason I suggested the schematic as a source for the data is because all of the information you would require would be in one place (although you would need to do the terminal/seal selection if you require that in your service documentation).  To develop something like this could take 1 or 2 weeks of programming depending on how far you want to go with it, we have done some work on a web based set of service documentation that could be automatically generated - if you are interested I will send you the link to the example page when we have something available?

• 4. Re: Connector Information Reports
                Joel_Pointon

Hi,

Do you have an example file that you could send me that shows what you currently publish?

• 5. Re: Connector Information Reports
                  CO2

Here is what is going into our manuals now,  connector illustration, pinout and location illustration.  I understand the location illustration will nor be able to be documented in Vesys but we should be able to get the other content extracted from Vesys and also include teh connector part number and other information. 

• 6. Re: Connector Information Reports
                    Joel_Pointon

What we were planning on doing is creating something similar to what to have attached i.e. a connector graphic (like the one from VeSys) as well as having the option to link to a loction picture.  It'll be a couple of weeks before we have something available for you to view, I'll let you know when we it is available.

• 7. Re: Connector Information Reports
                      CO2

That sounds exactly what we are looking at.  We can link it to another illustration of the location in the vehicle.  We have a person here starting to develop a script for it.  Thanks for your help.

-Chris

• 8. Re: Connector Information Reports
                        Joel_Pointon

What you are looking at is a smaller part of a process we are currently developing, we were looking to have the schematics linked into a connector report so people can simply click on a connector in the schematics and be taken to a page showing the connector, the wires in that connector and its location in the vehicle.  Our biggest problem is getting the VeSys drawing exported in a format that would allow us to do hyperlinking (we are considering using flash).

Click the link below to see a early draft of the web based service tool, this hasn't been udpated for some time.

www.eds-design.co.uk/websrvcs

• 9. Re: Connector Information Reports
                          Joel_Pointon

I'd be interested in how you initally create this document.  The example picture supplied, I guess that is a manually created document at the moment?

What software do you use to create the document, is it a publishing tool or do you use Microsoft Word?

• 10. Re: Connector Information Reports
                            CO2

Arbortext is what spit that page out (which isnt one of mine but will be what mine will be in next go around).  Previously we used Adobe to generate the tables and inset the figures with callouts.  My products are of the last few to be inputted in to Arbortext.  It was a lot of work once they were created to keep updated with model year changes and such.

-Chris

• 11. Re: Connector Information Reports
                              CO2

It looks and sounds all but identical to what we have going on here.  We will have a diagnostic tool with all pertinent information linked.

• 12. Re: Connector Information Reports
                                Joel_Pointon

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information, we are currently doing a lot of work to publish only the schematic drawings I believe the Service Department guys create similar documentation to what you are putting together.  They have asked about us automating the process so it is interesting to hear how other VeSys users are getting on, if you do manage some automatic generation I'd appreciate it if you could keep me posted on how you did it (and I'll do likewise)   

• 13. Re: Connector Information Reports
                                  Joel_Pointon

Ha haa!  We too were looking at linking in diagnostic information!!!!

I don't know how much exposure you've had to VeSys but it has a built-in diagnostic generation tool, if you haven't seen it you may want to ask one of your colleagues or a Mentor AE for a demo of it - I could even demo it to you if I can find a spare 5 minutes!!!!

• 14. Re: Connector Information Reports
                                    CO2

No problem.  It seems as though we are on the same path.  I was asked to find out if there is a script engine in Vesys??  Is there a way to tell or do you know??  I am suprised these types of reports arentt a process already available from the Vesys package.  I guess with a little work we can manipulate it to where we can extract what we need.

Thanks,

Chris

1 2 First Previous