5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 3:41 AM by robert_davies

Is There a Plan to make Component Array Supported in VisECAD?

yu.yanfeng

To speed up schematcis entry and make schematics consice, you c an use Componet Array to instantiate multiple componets at once. Follow is an example where 8 resistors instantiated by one resitstor with Componet Array=8 along with 2 capactors instantiated by one capacitor with Componet Array=2.

1.jpg

DxD-Expedition flow supports this methodology well. However, VisECAD does't support to list all instances.

2.jpg

'yanfeng

• 1. Re: Is There a Plan to make Component Array Supported in VisECAD?
          milostnik

Hi Yanfeng,

Post an idea in DxD idea page AND a SR for VisECad.

:-)

Matija

• 2. Re: Is There a Plan to make Component Array Supported in VisECAD?
            yu.yanfeng

Although I was dissapoined by the idea adoption but I will post this on the idea site as your suggestion. It seems that both icdb2ccz and VisECAD may does't support array components and I think posting the questiojn here will reminder Mentor  to rethink how to get the tool polished~

yanfeng

• 3. Re: Is There a Plan to make Component Array Supported in VisECAD?
              milostnik

Hi Yanfeng,

You are correct. Mentor has a lot of, as you said, number one tools and at the same time a strange and not understandable tradition of not polishing the tools together in a seamless flow.

Just as a young example: the new VX PCB tool introduced cluster capability. For a full flow, clustering starts from schematic, is essential during package and is vital in layout. And as it stands now there is no way of instruct the package tool from PCB or schematic to take into account the new clustering information.

From outside, where I am, it seems that communication between the tools programmer is somehow minimal, as the focus is to do the great point tools, and there is a missing entity that would overview and coordinate the totality of the flow. Your case is another example of missing overview of the totality of the flow.

Imagine, for example, how smooth the flow could be if e.g. stackup information would go seamlessly through the whole flow down to pcb production and assembly.

I am grateful to have the possibility to work with this exceptional tools, and I would cherish if the attention to those details would be increased.

Matija

• 4. Re: Is There a Plan to make Component Array Supported in VisECAD?
                yu.yanfeng

Yes, Mentor have comprehensive technologies but not be leveraged well yet(Maybe due to barriers between differnet prodcut teams).

The best way to get product to be robust, strong and polished is that you need to listen more  to customer's voices, assign product architects to visit customers to know what customer is requesting, instead of just assigning bussiness guy to custome site)

BTW, I have poste d idea for the support of array component definition. Here is the post link https://mentor.brightidea.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?i=00FF51CD

Yanfeng

• 5. Re: Is There a Plan to make Component Array Supported in VisECAD?
                  robert_davies

In answer to Matija's statement on clusters (groups):

If you assign a cluster property to your symbols in xDX Designer then the information is sent to xPCB as a group, we plan to improve the assignment of groups in xDX Designer to make it more user friendly. If you create a new group in xPCB that information is passed back to xDX Designer as cluster properties.