14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 2:03 PM by Community_Admin

How do you like the notification streams?

ronan_feely

I'm just wondering how people like the notification streams in the new communities.

• 1. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
          melindap

I think they're great!

• 2. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
            jduquette

Nothing personal, but WTF?  I was wondering why I hadn't seen any activity via email in the last few weeks.  I finally logged onto the website today and see that things are very different; I'll call them broken. 

I used to get mail from "community_admin@mentor.com" whenever someone posted.  I haven't seen any of those lately.  It would be awfully nice if community_admin@mentor.com sent an email to all the site users that they aren't going to see anything unless they log into the website and do ??? (please insert instructions here).  Putting a one line notice in the newsletter doesn't quite cut it. 

I had a rule to put mail from community_admin@mentor.com into a folder so I knew where to look for Supportnet info.  Now I'm getting email directly from users when they 'like' a post?  Who cares!?  I hope there is someway to shut that off.

I love (warning sarcasm alert!) the way the description of "Connections Stream" in preferences is "Connections Stream".  That's helpful (hint - that's more sarcasm).

Do I need to set rules for each group (i.e. if " [Schematic Design]" is in the subject line then store it in my Mentor folder)?  How do I deselect the "reply marked as helpful" emails?  Do I need a rule to send those to the trash?

When this site started in 2009 the major complaint from most of the long time users of the old site was that due to company policies they couldn't access the website for communications.  If I have to do that you'll be getting helpful comments from this 'Master' level user about once a month instead of soon after questions are posted.

Change is good.  There's my rant.  Is there a way to fix all this?  It isn't obvious from the info available in preferences.

John D

• 3. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
              Community_Admin

John, thanks for your feedback. I don't disagree with several of your points. I will try to address each one.

1. "It would be awfully nice if community_admin@mentor.com sent an email to all the site users"

We hadn't upgraded to a new version for years, and the old version was showing signs of brittleness. So we went from an old version to the latest. And we have had to clear up a few issues since go live, which seem to finally be resolved. Some of those issues took longer to clear up I sent an email out to all members about the new version. Expect to see that next week, along with dates for several open webinars I will be holding to demo the new features.

2. Getting email in your Outlook inbox (or whatever email client you use) is easily addressed. I will show you a couple of different, but similar and easy ways to implement:

Option 1:

A. Go to the drop down by your name and select Preferences (sounds like you found that)

B. To receive email notifications on items of interest to you or that you post questions about, turn the first Inbox to On. While there are 3 Inboxes (I agree, not very clear), there are distinctions under each). In your case, as in mine, I only have the first Inbox set to On. Adjust any other settings you see there, and select Save at the bottom.

Pref settings for email.JPG

C. Wherever you are -- in a community or a piece of content, select Follow in the upper right corner, check Inbox (and uncheck Connection Stream if you like), then Done.

Follow drop down.JPG

Option 2:

A. On Your Preferences page, set Email Watches to On. Click Save.

Note: Email Watches was created automatically during our migration for those users that had set Receive Email Notifications for any content or community in our previous version. Only 2% of our members had that set, but I suspect you see that option.

B. In the Follow drop down, check Email Watches instead of Inbox.

3. "Now I'm getting email directly from users when they 'like' a post?  Who cares!?  I hope there is someway to shut that off."

"Do I need to set rules for each group (i.e. if " [Schematic Design]" is in the subject line then store it in my Mentor folder)?  How do I deselect the "reply marked as helpful" emails?  Do I need a rule to send those to the trash? "

I need to investigate these a bit further. The above settings may take care of this, but I will confirm.

Please let me know if other questions, and thanks for your forthright feedback.

• 4. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                MENTOR_Shannonk

All the email are still coming from one address: mentor@jiveon.com (they just have the user name as the name) so I changed my Outlook rule to filter on this email...

I'm trying to find the "turn off like" button too, so if you find it first please share.

• 5. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                  Community_Admin

Thanks, I will definitely let you know.

• 6. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                    Community_Admin

John, wrt the rule for your emails to be sent to one folder, please try this one:

Outlook rule.png

• 7. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                      Andy_Reilly

It may be avoiding the issues but something I like about the new system is that I do not have any notifications going to my Outlook.  I just use the IPhone app to watch the notifications and then reply from my phone or web client when I need to.

My Outlook is already a mess, I don't need anything else going into folders I will forget to look at.

Cheers

Andy

• 8. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                        jduquette

Thanks Shannon!  I added mentor@jiveon.com to my existing rule. 

• 9. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                          jduquette

Thanks.  FYI I saw Shannon's solution first because she described it in text.  In Outlook I had to click on the link to go to the website to see your graphics and I hadn't got that far yet.  In Outlook a picture is not always worth a thousand words! 

• 10. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                            jduquette

So let me see if I have this correct - 'Email' will send a message to my Outlook Inbox.  'inbox' is in Jive and is only available on the website/app, correct? 

• 11. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                              Community_Admin

John – If I understand your question clearly, you are asking about the options available to you in the Follow drop down. If you check EITHER option, you will receive an email to your Outlook. If you happen to check BOTH Email Watches and Inbox in the Follow drop down, I believe that will result in duplicate emails (tho I will confirm that and get back to you). And I realize you don’t want that.

If I am not understanding your questions correctly, let me know.

And I am still looking for a ‘kill switch’ on the Like and Reply as helpful notices.

Thanks for all your participation in the communities.

Please let me know of other questions.

• 12. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                                jduquette

I was reading through the Jive help and that made me think the InBox is only for Jive App/webpage.  I just set my preferences to unchecked Inbox and checked Email Watches.  I'll try that for a day and see what comes through. 

• 13. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                                  Community_Admin

That should work, too, John. That is really my option B below. But also, by keeping that first Inbox to On (and the other Inboxes to Off if you desire, and the Email Watch to Off), that  will still send email to your Outlook inbox when someone posts an update to an item you have selected to follow as described above. That is how I happen to have mine set, and that is how I see all the activity I follow in the communities.

BTW – I hope to have a “Quick Start Guide” posted later this afternoon to provide some quick instructions to make the necessary adjustments based on this new version.

Thanks for your participation and feedback.

• 14. Re: How do you like the notification streams?
                                    Community_Admin

Hi John - just wanted to check back with you and see how things have been going with your Follow>Email Watch checked. How has that been working for you and getting the email notifications?