3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 11:08 AM by kendall_hiles

How to check if an Expedition PCB (.PCB) is undocked or not?

vkhurana

I have a script that opens an Expedition PCB design, does something with it, and then closes the tool.  The problem is that when an Expedition PCB is undocked (and not docked yet) the script fails and this leaves the Expedition tool running (with the design open) - not good.  Here are my questions:

• Is there a function that can be used to find out if the Expedition PCB is undocked?  If so, what is it?
      • If there isn't a function is there any other way to find out if the PCB is in an undocked state?
      • If there isn't a way to find out if an Expedition PCB is undocked or not then how can I close the Dock window that pops up upon open the PCB in Expedition?  I know of a method but it's not robust.

I am using EE795.  Thanks for help!

Varun

• 1. Re: How to check if an Expedition PCB (.PCB) is undocked or not?
          kendall_hiles

Can't you just look and see if it is a directory called back_end?

-kendall

• 2. Re: How to check if an Expedition PCB (.PCB) is undocked or not?
            vkhurana

No, because of the following reasons:

1. The folder back_end is the undocked "portion" of the project.  I need to know whether the ("main") project is docked or undocked?  In other words the undocked piece of the project can be anywhere, within any folder which can be called anything.  And usually for us we timestamp the folders that contain undocked portions.
            2. I am told that back_end folder is the default folder name and it can be called anything.
            • 3. Re: How to check if an Expedition PCB (.PCB) is undocked or not?
              kendall_hiles

You can call the upper level directory anything you want but the pcb is in back_end.  So if I save it to C:\Kendall and call the directory FRED, you get:

C:\Kendall\FRED\back_end\vidar.pcb

When you have a design undocked and you open the original design, it opens read only if you don't dock the copy first.

Other than that I didn't find any Automation calls to see if it was docked or not .  The only file I found that has a reference to the Docked design was in the database/cdbserver/log directory and it didn't have enough information to make it usable.  It must be stored in the iCDB and that is not open for scripting.

So using my deductive reasoning:

If it lives in back_end it is the undocked portable design.

If it is read_only and not in back_end it is the master but your not sure why it is read only so ask the user the state.  They would have had to click thorugh this to open the design:

-kendall