5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 2:04 PM by Joel_Pointon

Pictures in Harness Reports not Displayed

mmensen

None of the pictures are displayed in any of the harness reports that I have created. All I get is the box with the "X" in it.

If I right click on the "X" that is supposed to be a connector view and open the properties it shows that the picture is actually a DWG file. If I right click on the "X" that is supposed to be a picture of a twisted pair and open the properties it shows that the location of the picture file is in some folder other than where it is actually located.

How can I get these pictures to be displayed in the Harness Report?

• 1. Re: Pictures in Harness Reports not Displayed
          Joel_Pointon

There are a couple of things you can do.  To display a dwg I think you can get a dwg plugin for internet explorer that would allow you to view the file, its been a really long time since I saw Internet Explorer display a dwg and from memory it weren't great but I'm a prefectionist and love really clear, sharp graphics.  The slight problem is that I cannot remember where you get the plugin, you may want to search for this on the internet.

The second option and the one I prefer is to convert the AutoCAD graphics to pictures such as emf or bmp format (emf is the best because it is the smallest and has the best quality).  The other advantage of having all of the graphics in a picture format is that anyone with a computer can view/use them and they don't need a plug-in, in the past I have given the guys in Service Departments a CD with all the graphics on for inclusion in their manuals.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pictures in Harness Reports not Displayed
            mmensen

Is there an option somewhere in VeSys/AutoCAD to Export EMF?  I have found the option to "Export WMF..."

I am using VeSys Version 2008.1.1 and AutoCAD LT 2008.

• 3. Re: Pictures in Harness Reports not Displayed
              Joel_Pointon

By default the answer in No.

You might be able to setup an EMF plotter in AutoCAD because I know you can configure a jpg plotter although I've never tried to do this so you'll need to search the internet to see if this is possible.

What I did was convert the dwg to emf and there are several pieces of software to do this (some even have batch conversion utilities) but you may want to crop the image down to the correct size.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pictures in Harness Reports not Displayed
                lonny.ackerman

The best results I have obtained were with GIF files.  However, I never did find a conversion package (at least that was free or inexpensive enough to spark my interest) that would convert from DWG to GIF.  I had to go a very round-about way via DXF and Adobe Illustrator to get there.  VERY clunky, but it produces VERY nice graphics in my VeSys reports.  The GIF images are also very clear and legible when using a web browser which was my ultimate goal as our production staff will someday (if our IT dept. ever gets to that project...) view the reports electronically instead of via paper copies.

• 5. Re: Pictures in Harness Reports not Displayed
                  Joel_Pointon

You may want to try and buy an old version of Paint Shop Pro, it can open dwg and should allow you to save as .gif or .emf, I got mine for £8 (or $12) from Amazon!