5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 5:56 AM by yan_killy

Layout translation from Altium

chidalgo

I'm trying to work with a layout file from a customer (done by another consultant) in Altium.  I have a .pcbdoc file from Altium.  I've tried importing it into layout, but get a bunch of warnings.  The .log file (attached) has lots of warnings about that things it can't handle, but ultimately, it says:

"[F] The input design is too large for PADS Layout. Reduce the size of the design to 56000 mils square and try again."

In the Gerbers I have for the design, I see there's a large drawing border about 20 x 15 inches.  That should be within the limits for PADS, so I don't understand the problem, but that's what I'm seeing.

I really don't want to ask my customer to ask the other consultant to remove the border and re-save the database... especially since I figure there's a substantial possibility the end result won't be usable anyway.  I did try importing it using V9.5 and VX.1.1.  I also tried the stand-alone PADS Layout Translator - that gave the same results, just in a window.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Carlos

• 1. Re: Layout translation from Altium
          Community_Admin

Carlos - thanks for your post. This community is just for Member Feedback - questions/suggestions about the communities in general. I am going to move your question to the more appropriate PADS community, where it will get much greater visibility for a response. Thanks again for using Mentor Communities.

• 2. Re: Layout translation from Altium
            yan_killy

Carlos,

PADS translator for Altium can translate version 14. As long as there are no errors the translated database can be used. Although I suggest you review Warning logs as no translations are 100%.

As far as the coordinates warning you may have 2D lines or text on some layer that is out of PADS limits. I suggest removing or deleting offending items prior to translation.

Regards, Yan

• 3. Re: Layout translation from Altium
              chidalgo

Yan,

It did not generate a PADS database at all.  When I did via the File | Import, the PADS database remained empty.  When I did it from the stand-alone translator, no file was generated.  There’s nothing for me to use – that’s the whole problem.

Carlos

• 4. Re: Layout translation from Altium
                yan_killy

Carlos,

Did you try to reduce the the design area in Altium before translating? If you are still having problems after reducing the area in Altium, please contact Mentor customer support as they are excellent in helping. Also it will help if you can provide them with Altium file.

Regards, Yan

• 5. Re: Layout translation from Altium
                  chidalgo

Yan,

I don’t have Altium.  If I did, I’d just make the modifications in Altium and not worry about translating to PADS.

The file was provided by my customer who got it from another consultant.  I don’t have the ability to make any changes to it.

Carlos