4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2017 6:38 AM by md.direct

Is there a way to remove silkscreen over pads?

kjoubert

I am using Pads vX.0

Is there a way to remove silkscreen decals over pads without having to "hack" the generated gerbers afterwards? I am looking for some sort of "Keepout" that prevent silkscreen generation over specified areas. I usually have to edit the decals of my components where needed and end up with custom decals for the same component which is undesirable.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to remove silkscreen over pads?
          Pete

Don't.

Your Fab vendor will do that for you.  You can specify a maximum clearance space and ask if they can maintain it.  That may change from one vendor to another.

OR, get a CAM editor, and do it yourself.  PADS can't do it, it's really a gerber issue, not a deign package function.  I prefer this option, since I can see exactly what I'll get and move a ref des if needed.  Plus, I use the editor for DFF checks, panelization, etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to remove silkscreen over pads?
            Vern_Wnek

Kirk

Although typically a Fab Vendor will do this for you, some of the lower end houses will not. So a couple of suggestions...

1. Build your components so that Silkscreen is pulled back from Pads per your standards. Ref Designators will always have to be moved.

2. Have you looked at PADS Professional, and a possibility of upgrading? PADS Professional has this option, and also the ability to check your designs prior to going to fab for Silkscreen on Pads, which happens to be the #1 complaint from board houses for errors they must correct in fabrication data.

Myself, I always use the command because I like to see exactly what the data is that I am sending out. I do not allow board houses to modify data for my designs (except for fabrication allowances for tolerance). Many companies are the same.

Take a look at PADS Professional here:

PADS Professional - Mentor Graphics

Good Luck,

Vern

• 3. Re: Is there a way to remove silkscreen over pads?
              kbak

Hi

I have always used the same method as Pete - letting the PCB Manufacturer remove the silkscreen.

I write "Overlapping silkscreen must be removed from solder pads" in the PCB Specification.

I haven't had any issues with this.

regards

Klaus

• 4. Re: Is there a way to remove silkscreen over pads?
                md.direct

I use a GERBER Editor to find and correct the overlaps.

But the suggestion of "re-working" the decals is the best way to keep the original Pads Database in a "correct" state.