4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 7:27 AM by olivier_arnaud

DxDesigner and QUESTA ADMS Compatibility

lithness

Hi, I'm a newbie to the PADS community. I have been given a task to generate a new mixed signal circuit using DxDesigner.  For simulation of this circuit, we are supposed to use Questa ADMS. However, i doubt that whether DxDesigner and Questa ADMS are compatible? Is it possible to use DxDesigner as your Data Entry Software and Questa ADMS as your simulation tool?

If yes, Please guide me step by step.

regards

Manjunath

• 1. Re: DxDesigner and QUESTA ADMS Compatibility
          cathy_terwedow

Welcome to PADS Manjunath! I've moved your question to the PADS Schematic Design community where it is more likely to get a quick response.

• 2. Re: DxDesigner and QUESTA ADMS Compatibility
            olivier_arnaud

Hi Manjunath,

The HyperLynx Analog (HLA) extension of xDX Designer allows accessing to several simulators for analog or mixed signal design verification. A basic SPICE engine is provided by default but users can optionally upgrade to either Eldo or ADMS. So in that sense we can say that xDX Designer and ADMS are compatible.

You can therefore caopture a schematic in xDX Designer to build a PCB and at the same time use the schematic to drive your simulations.

To enable the HLA option you can go to Setup-->Settings-->Licensing. A SImulation tab will show up in the design Navigator and the HLA SImulation toolbar should be added. In the Testbench Options dialog that you bring up from the most left button of the toobar you can choose which simulator you want to use.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Olivier

• 3. Re: DxDesigner and QUESTA ADMS Compatibility
              lithness

I tried the steps as mentioned in your mail but failed to get the simulation results.

I am currently using PADS Standard Plus and AMS 2010.2 on a windows Xp machine.

I am getting an error "can't find the specified path". Is this an installation issue?

• 4. Re: DxDesigner and QUESTA ADMS Compatibility
                olivier_arnaud

Hi Manjunath,

It is hard to tell what the problem is without knowing what you did to set up the environment. Have you set the environment variable MGC_AMS_HOME to the AMS install for HyperLynx Analog to use the ADMS and Eldo target simulator?  It might  be your problem if you miss this variable.

You can find all necessary information for properly setting up your simulation environment in the documentation you can find in the PADS installation tree. You can start with the hla_user.pdf document.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Olivier