4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 11:31 AM by boris@cri

Obsolete format of vendor daemon line DAEMON

boris@cri

The license file I received from Mentor Graphics contains vendor daemon line with DAEMON keyword. It is obsolete and even not mentioned in the latest License Administration Guide for 11.13.0. Current format requires keyword VENDOR.

The problem is that old format does not allow to specify fixed port which I need to specify to communicate over firewall. The fixed port option exists since at least ver.7. The mgcld I received with software reports to be ver.11.1.1. Needless to say specifying "port=" after path to the daemon had no effect. I tried to replace keyword DAEMON with keyword VENDOR. It did not gelp either.

Does anybody know if new mgcld ver. 1.13.0.2 can take a fixed port to work through?

Do I need a new license file for that or I can just modify existing file?

• 1. Re: Obsolete format of vendor daemon line DAEMON
          guy_wettstein

Boris,

I know of no difference in functionality between DAEMON and VENDOR. If you want to change it, you can.

FlexNet has been somewhat inconsistent with the behavior of the format of this line over many releases. You should use five fields to ensure consistency from release to release, including an options file or stub options file. You can change it to VENDOR like so:

VENDOR mgcld <path_to_mgcld> OPTIONS=<path_to_options_file> PORT=<port_number>

Guy

• 2. Re: Obsolete format of vendor daemon line DAEMON
            boris@cri

Hi Guy,

Thank you for your response.

From old manual (End Users Guide VERSION 9.2 JULY 2003, Macrovision)

FLEXLM VERSION NOTES

• vendor_daemon_path required in pre-v6.0 vendor daemon.

• options_file_path required in pre-v6.0 vendor daemon.

• VENDOR lines are known as DAEMON lines in the pre-v6.0 lmgrd and

vendor daemon.

v6.0+:

VENDOR sampled

pre-v6.0:

DAEMON sampled /etc/sampled \

/etc/sampled/licenses/sampled.opt

• The options= keyword introduced in the v5.0 vendor daemon.

Modern manual do net mention DAEMON lines at all.

Boris

• 3. Re: Obsolete format of vendor daemon line DAEMON
              guy_wettstein

Boris,

Changing to VENDOR is on a list of proposed changes to our license file format. However, we don't yet have a timeline for those changes. Since you can manually change it from DAEMON to VENDOR without any detriment to mgcld, I recommend that as a solution for now.

Guy

• 4. Re: Obsolete format of vendor daemon line DAEMON
                boris@cri

Hi Guy,

I am working with Ken Foster on this. I tries a bunch of different things including replacing keyword. Nothing worked so far, but I remain optimistic.

Thank you,

Boris