12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 2:03 PM by ljaimes@kewire.com

Jiffy Splice

Hello,

What is the best way to deal with jiffy splices? They are a connected male and female terminals covered by a sleeve. As a connector I always have to create a zero length bundle to show both wires coming in from either side. As a splice the terminals could be additional components but you can't assign the male/female terminal to its designated wire. This would probably create an issue down the line when running it through TVM as the terminals get terminated like any other wire.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lorena

IMG_0804.JPG

• 1. Re: Jiffy Splice
          john_judkins

Hi Lorena,

I'm not sure if this helps but have you tried using "dressed connector" with "routes"? In my example here I've modelled the Jiffy Sleeve as a dressed connector with routes F and M. The routes could have other names if the direction of entry of the male and female terminal is arbitrary.

Dressed connectors and routes help get the wire lengths more accurate where there are multiple entry points to the connector. Furthermore, the wires of course have real terminals.

I'm not sure if this meets all the requirements but it intuitively seems like the right solution to me based on your post.

[BTW, dressed connectors can also be used for single entry connectors but where the orientation of the connector significantly affects the wire lengths.]

routes.png

I hope this helps but let us know if not.

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: Jiffy Splice

Hi John,

Yes this definitely helps! I had not experimented with dressed routes. I think I should be able to use them when I need to show two different bundles going to 1 connector.

Thanks!

Lorena

• 3. Re: Jiffy Splice

Hello,

When using dressed connectors I have been experiencing problems with my DRCs. Every Jiffy Splice Connector that I have assigned dressed routes for says it is not located on any branch. Is this to be expected?

Thanks!

Lorena

• 4. Re: Jiffy Splice
                saket_verma

Hi Lorena,

I tried the same at my end, but I don't see the issue as reported by you, will it be possible for you to share your data with me?

Only way I can reproduce your case is when I have the dressed connector [Jiffy Splice] not properly connected to the bundle

Regards,

Saket

• 5. Re: Jiffy Splice

Saket,

What is the best way for me to share my data with you?

Thanks!

Lorena

• 6. Re: Jiffy Splice
                    saket_verma

Hi Lorena,

When you reply [use advance editor], you will see "Attach" Button in the below right hand corner, please use that and attach the Data to your reply.

Regards,

Saket

• 7. Re: Jiffy Splice

Hi Saket,

I don't have an attach option when replying.

I have exported my data so let me know where i can email it.

Thanks!

Lorena

• 8. Re: Jiffy Splice
                        saket_verma

Hi Lorena,

Please forward the same to me at saket_verma@mentor.com

Saket

• 9. Re: Jiffy Splice
                          saket_verma

Thanks Lorena,

I can identify the problem with your data

I think what you did is as below

1. Added a Connector in free space

2. Created 2 Bundles and tried connecting to the connector in free space to make it Multi-Entry connector

For ex: Check Connector C27, this was added in Free Space

I tried tiding up and I see it is as below, C27 was added in free space and was not consumed, 2 new Bundles were added with route "F" and "M"

If you check the Edit Conenctor Dialog -> Routes Tab, you see an extra row for node C27 not consumed

Can you try below Steps and see if you still get the same issue

1. Add a Bundle

2. Add the connector C27 on the node of newly added Bundle

3. Now Create a New bundle connecting to the Connector C27

I am attaching the AVI which you can follow

Regards,

Saket

• 10. Re: Jiffy Splice

Hello Saket,

I removed and re-added the jiffy splices to the bundles and this fixed the problem.

In the form board, is there an easy way to maneuver the dressed connectors? Because I have two bundles going into a jiffy at either side, they form a loop and I cannot move the bundles to show that the bundles go in on either side of the jiffy splice. I cannot move the bundles within the dressed connector box or make the box bigger or smaller.

Thanks!

Lorena

• 11. Re: Jiffy Splice
                              saket_verma

Lorena,

Size of the Box can be controlled thru Style Set as below

After changing the setting as required you can go back to the diagram, select the Connector Box and do Right mouse Button -> Style

Size of the Box will change as per the settings done in the style set

For the Bundle manipulation you need to make the Bundle as Flex Bundle by converting the FullScale Bundle to Flex Bundle

Steps

1. Select the FullScale bundle

2. Do Right Mouse Button

3. Select the option "Convert Flex Bundle"

4. Add some Grip points if needed and try manipulating the bundle

Please see if this helps and solves the problem, let me know if you are facing problems

Regards,

Saket

• 12. Re: Jiffy Splice

When assigning routes in the library, can you create a route for a range of cavities or does each cavity have to have it's own route? Can a route have multiple ranges?

Thanks!

Lorena