1 2 First Previous 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 4:27 AM by robert_davies

Experiences with transition to VX?

deborah.frommer1

Hi all,

we are testing in the moment the actual VX release VX1.1.

And I would like ask you some questions about VX and the transition to VX:

- What are your experiences with VX? Is it faster, better or why should we switch to VX? Is it stable?

- How did you transfer your library? Do you maintain two libraries (one for 7.9.x and one for VX)?

- Do you make a hard cut: e.g. after 1st January all designs are on VX, or do you switch design by design over time?

- Do you have an fallback solution to go back to EE7.9.x, if there are bigger problems with VX?

- Are you waiting for VX2-release, cause it has some more nice features? Why?

So I am very interrested in any comments and experiences you have with VX.

Thanks and best regards,
      Deborah

• 1. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
          greg.hall

We are in the process of the switch from 7.9.1 to VX.

Our new design projects are being done in VX1.1 and we find it quiet stable environment.

Older legacy designs we still maintain in 7.9.1, but expect this will change in the future and we will ditch 7.9.1 usage completely.

With regard to the libraries we currently have two being maintained 7.9.1 and VX. To create the VX library all that we did was a copy of the 7.9.1 library and rename the folder. When we create new parts/cell/symbols we currently create them in the 7.9.1 library and then "export" them to the VX library. Items created direct in the VX library have extra parameters and therefore cannot be "exported" into the 7.9.1 library.

Both 7.9.1 and VX can be installed and a pc together and then use the MGC PCB Release Switcher utility.

• 2. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
            wilfried.bauer

greg.hall schrieb:

.. To create the VX library all that we did was a copy of the 7.9.1 library and rename the folder. ..

Sounds like you did not even do a translation of your 7.9.1 library to VX, or did you just not mention it? Mentor ranked using VX1.1 with a 7.9.3 library as an unsupported state, which might or might not work ...

• 3. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
              Vern_Wnek

Wilfried,

There is no translation required, when you open an older library into the VX release it is automatically migrated to the new version.

Now if you plan to continue using both versions, I suggest making a copy of your library, as the older version and newer version are not compatible due to additional properties within the library for the VX release.

A small note about my experiences with customers moving to the VX release:

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, that I have spoken to has stated they found it very hard to go back and use 7.9.x releases because of all the great new features and ease of use of the new VX release. In my experience, I have found that absolutely true.

Good Luck,

Vern

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                6ec63922-74f7-93aa-0100-014840ed420c

Vern,

in our case that we are using DMS as well, do you think that a copy the library should be sufficient???

regards,

Costas 

• 5. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                  greg.hall

That is correct - there is no specific translation required for the library from 7.9.1 to VX in our experience.

We can happily create new parts/symbols and cells in version 7.9.1 and export to the VX library via library services or hkp files with no problem.

• 6. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                    N_Ray101

I believe Components (Symbol/footprint) are transparent between 7.9.x and VX.

But another sections like Layout template and Reusable blocks may face trouble ......

• 7. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                      wilfried.bauer

greg.hall wrote:

Both 7.9.1 and VX can be installed and a pc together and then use the MGC PCB Release Switcher utility.

Did you install both versions to the same root directory "C:\MentorGraphics", or do I need to use a different root for VX?

Switching between releases seems to be easier in case of same root, but I doubt if 7.9.3 and VX1.1 can coexist in same root dir?

• 8. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                        greg.hall

No - we have got separate root directories.

C:\MentorGraphics = is our existing 7.9.1 installation and

C:\MentorGraphics_VX = is our new VX installation.

As I understand this is how Mentor recommend the install to be done.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                          thad.schultz

Where did you hear about this being the Mentor recommended installation model?  I have not seen or heard this yet.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                            bbpcbdesign

Hi Greg,

what I know is that you must have separated root directories ONLY if you install 64bit VX version.

With 32bit, you can use same root "C:\MentorGraphics".

Best Regards,

Bortolo

• 11. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                              greg.hall

Thanks Bortolo

I am running on Win 7 64-bit so that is why I have MG installed in separated root directories.

I am not the person who installs MG, I am only a user. Therefore all I was trying to relay here was my experiences with using VX

For more specific information on the correct way to install MG then I would suggest contacting MG Support.

• 12. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                                bbpcbdesign

Hi Greg,

what i'm saying is not related to OS but to Xpedition VX.

In my desktop with Win7 Pro 64bit, I have installed EE7.9.4 and Xpedition VX 32bit under same root "C:\MentorGraphics".

It works without any issues for about a year when was released Xpedition VX.1

This installation follows MentorGraphics specifications.

Best Regards,

Bortolo

• 13. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                                  robert_davies

As Bartolo stated, it is only necessary to  have a separate tree if mixing 32 and 64 bit versions. But the software will work either way. It is not necessary to install the 64-bit applications on a 64-bit OS, the choice of whether to install the 64-bit version of Mentor applications depends on design size and comes with some caveats. This is documented in the release notes.

Sent from my HTC

• 14. Re: Experiences with transition to VX?
                                    pattardi

We moved to VX1.1 from 7.9.x as well with our DC designs and started to port some of our designs and libraries over DX. The translation is allot better then it was with 7.9.x and VX1.0. The biggest change is the user interface in Xpedition that I have found, but so far it has worked well and is very stable.

1 2 First Previous