6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 1:19 PM by doug5962

Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?

doug5962

Hello everyone,

Is there any way to import HKP files to PADS VX? My issue is that neither Accelerated Designs ' Ultra Librarian or PCB Libraries' Library Expert support importing to the PADS VX Integrated Flow. Both applications do support exporting to Expedition via HKP files.

And Yes, I already did check PartQuest... None of the parts I need have footprints there.

• 1. Re: Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?
          tjohnston

Hi Douglas,

Export PADS ascii from either tool.  Import the ascii in a non-integrated PADS flow and place the part in your design (I usually just do it through ECO mode).  Create a new integrated PADS flow.  Copy the part / decal from the non-integrated flow and paste it into the integrated flow via the ECO mode.  You will then be able to right click on the part in your integrated design and save it to your integrated library.

-Travis

• 2. Re: Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?
            doug5962

Hi Travis,

I am not familiar with PADS outside the Integrated Flow. Should I be importing the ASCII files into xDXDesigner netlist project or am I doing it somewhere else?

Thanks,

Douglas

• 3. Re: Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?
              tjohnston

Hi Douglas,

I would guess that doing it through a xDxDesigner netlist project would work as well, however all you really need to do is just open PADS Layout.  Select File > Library and import the ASCII files into a library of your choice.  Then just use ECO mode to place the part into the layout.  You won't even need to save this file at all, just leave it open until you copy and paste the part into your integrated project.  Once you have it in the integrated library you will still need to do the schematic symbol work in xDx and then update the PDB mapping in the integrated library.

Let me know if I'm still not explaining it well enough and I can see if I can throw a video demonstration together later.

-Travis

• 4. Re: Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?
                doug5962

Hi Travis,

Importing into PADS Layout and then placing the part was easy enough. I do need more clarity on getting the part into integrated project. I have a blank integrated project up, Is it literally copy the part from PADS Layout and paste it onto the integrated project schematic?

Thanks,

Doug

• 5. Re: Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?
                  tjohnston

Hi Doug,

You won't be able to paste it into the integrated project schematic, you'll need to paste it into the integrated project layout.  But yes, as long as you have ECO mode enabled in the integrated layout then it is literally copy the part from the non-integrated layout into the integrated layout.  Right click the part in the integrated layout and choose Save to Library and you should be prompted to choose which library partitions you want the part and the decal to be copied into.

-Travis

• 6. Re: Importing HKP files to PADS VX Intergrated Flow?
                    doug5962

Hi Travis,

I was able to copy / paste one part over successfully. I am going to import the rest of my parts now that I have working solution. Seems like having a direct import capability of PADS ASCII components into the integrated flow might be a worthy feature request?

Thanks for the solution!

Doug