3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 12:08 PM by steve.j.miller

How Can I use an Existing PCB design with a New Schematic

greg.hall

We have completed a Design (Schematic and PCB) and now have a second design.

The schematics have been completed for the second design, but now I want to use the existing PCB from the 1st Design and forward annotate the changes.

How do I achieve this?

The 2 designs are about 90% similar, with the second design having fewer components on it. Board shape and critical component positions are the same between designs.

Using Expedition VX1.1 with DxDesigner.

• 1. Re: How Can I use an Existing PCB design with a New Schematic
          raliesch

Well if they are that similar, i would do the following.

1. Open the new Empty PCB

2. On the Empty one go to File open as Reference and open the Design you wannt to copy from.

3. Select everything you wannt to take over to the new Design. Use the Selection List  if you need to.

4. With everything you wannt selected, go to Edit Copy to Clipboard

5. Go back to your Empty Desig, and go Edit Past from Clipboard

6. Now you may have to use the Parts Map Dialog that comes up when you do paste from Clibpoard. There you can do remapping, if you wannt.

There may be other better ways, but that is one that worked in the past.

Hope this helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Can I use an Existing PCB design with a New Schematic
            MikeD

Hi Greg,

One way is to overwrite the $PRJ/database/icdb.dat with the new schematic.

Another is to overwrite the $PRJ/PCB/Work and $PRJ/PCB/Layout directories with the PCB you'd like to use.

Having said that, it's always a good idea to make sure all projects you are working with 1) have the same Board and Block names and 2) are synchronized. While doing this merging/copying, it's easier to keep the project and pcb filenames the same and rename them once the operation is complete.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How Can I use an Existing PCB design with a New Schematic
              steve.j.miller

You could have your Librarian create a template of the existing design and then use Job Management Wizard to Create a New PCB directory and import in the template of the existing PCB design.  You will need to edit the .prj file using WordPad and modify the "KEY LayoutTemplate" to the new template name.  Then you should be able to bring the new template PCB into the project.