7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 12:10 PM by tstacy

PARTQUEST no longer functional

tstacy

PartQuest was a useful tool when first used in VX1.1. Was able to download, unzip footprints from Digikey and open in Pads layout and add to libraries. Then I upgraded to VX1.2 a few months back. Have only recently discovered that PartQuest is no longer functional. Can still download parts and unzip from Digikey, but cannot open using "Tools: Import PartQuest Parts" in Pads Layout. Error message "Windows cannot access specific device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access item".

Put in an SR(#2846049879) on Support Net. While waiting for resolution from Mentor, decided to post here to see if anyone else has had this issue and have recommendations. I already tried release switcher back to VX1.1(did not fix issue) and uninstalling PartQuest from system and reinstalling PartQuest(still did not fix issue). Not sure what else to do at this point. Worse case scenario, I would contemplate uninstalling all Mentor products and then reinstalling, but concerned of other issues arising from this "brute force" method.

Any feedback would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks

Tom S.

Senior PCB Designer

NJ

Inline image 1

• 1. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
          cathy_terwedow

Hi Tom. I've moved your question to the PartQuest > PADS community where it is more likely to get a quick answer.

• 2. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
            tstacy

Thank you

TS

• 3. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
              Gary_Lameris

If pqz downloads are extracting to a folder or you are using dropbox skip 1

1.  in file explorer, search for the folder %appdata%, look for PartQuestTools subdirectory and in it a file pq.ini  This file specifies the location of extracted .pqz files

2.  ln your wdir, you should have a partquest subdirectory, (C:\pads projects\partquest   In it should be a file partquest.ini and the partquest.mdb (database) file

3.  in C:\MentorGraphics\xxVX.1.2\C:\MentorGraphics\xxVX.1.2\SDD_HOMELibraries should be the PartQuest libraries for PADS, is there a PartQuest library there you can add, and if you run Tools Import Parts, are files updated there?

4.  If all else fails...  Uninstall PartQuest Tools, delete the PartQuestTools directory in %appdata% copy your old wdir\partquest directory to a new location and delete the original \PartQuest directory, and reinstall PartQuest tool to reset all of the paths.

• 4. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
                tstacy

Gary,

Regarding your feedback, I verified items 1 and 2, but for item # 3,

I only see older library files(pt9, ld9, etc) which were done when I had

VX1.1 running 6 months ago. All the new stuff which I was able to download

yesterday and today are not there. Any idea where they may be deposited?

TS

• 5. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
                  tstacy

Gary,

If you wish to "walk me" thru this verbally, I can be reached today until 4:30PM EST at 908-566-1319.

Thanks,

Tom S.

• 6. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
                    tstacy

Gary,

Tried reinstalling Partquest after complete uninstallation, still same issue. I am able to use direct download from PartQuest, save footprint in c:pq_unzip but not able to "Import PartQuest Parts" with either VX1.1 or 1.2 any longer. I do see the libraries I created 6 months ago in C:\MentorGraphics\PADSVX.1.1\SDD_HOME\Libraries and also the pq.ini file. However only the partquest.ini file resides in C:\pads projects\partquest. There is no *.mdb there. Could this be the problem?

Tom

• 7. Re: PARTQUEST no longer functional
                      tstacy

Gary,

Also worth mentioning, is that Partquest worked with VX1.1 prior to upgrading to VX1.2. Now neither version works with that add-on. My colleague also updated from Pads 9.5 directly to VX1.2 and has had no issues using PartQuest, so seems to be related to something with 1.1 to 1.2 upgrade.

Tom