1 2 First Previous 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 7:24 AM by robert_davies

VX.2 crash!

davide.camerano1

I just downloaded and installed the new release (64-bit version).

DX designer always crashes. I created a new project, then I open it, and if I click on the page (or select a menu choiche or another operation) the program crashes.

This happens on two PCs. Windows 7 64 bit, 8GB RAM.

How it is possible? Never happened before.

• 1. Re: VX.2 crash!
          Jack

Its doubtful that a member of the Mentor Community could help you with that.

It seems like the type of problem that Mentor SupportNet is better able to deal with.

best wishes,

Jack

• 2. Re: VX.2 crash!
            Vern_Wnek

My question would be that if you only have 8gb ram in your system, why are you loading the 64Bit version of the software. This may be the issue, have you tried the 32bit version? Not sure if this is the issue, but if you are not doing designs with databases over 4gb in size, you probably do not require the 64 bit software version.

Thanks, Vern

• 3. Re: VX.2 crash!
              davide.camerano1

@Jack: yes, you are right. I am already in contact with my local support people. I just wanted to share the problem with other user to check if someone else has experienced the same issue or it is only a problem of my PC.

@Vern_Wnek: I have a 64 bit operating system, so it seems reasonable to install the 64 bit version. More: I updated from EEV1.2, that was 64 bit too, and it worked. Is the V2 so different from the V1.2 that it needs more memory for the same (1 page of schematic!) project?

• 4. Re: VX.2 crash!
                robert_davies

Just because you have a 64-bit OS doesn't necessarily mean you need the 64-bit applications from Mentor, for xDX Designer for example there is little to gain and it complicates the use of Databook working in conjunction with ODBC database connections (this is in the release notes). However we hope you resolve the issue with it crashing, we've not heard other reports of this.

• 5. Re: VX.2 crash!
                  raliesch

I would try run the Release Switcher, and register VX2 again, also make sure you run it on the user account that is having the problem.

In many cases this did help for me, but this just the first thing i would try.

Also if you use Automation i would disable it, to make sure the Problem is not coming from that side.

Br

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: VX.2 crash!
                    ales.strukelj

Similar happened on vx.1 to me (and some other co-workers), you can try this, but try with release switcher first ( proposal, it might help):

• delete all contents from local WDIR (maybe back it up first)
                    • run dxdesigner from windows start menu
                    • create a new project and point to one of the local demo libraries
                    • if new project isn't created the first time, close dxdesigner and repeat process once again
                    • If works, you can put your wdir contents back in place

dxd_crash.png

Regards

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: VX.2 crash!
                      davide.camerano1

I tried the 32 bit version. Still crashing

regards

Davide

• 8. Re: VX.2 crash!
                        davide.camerano1

ales.strukelj The solution you proposed works! When I use one of the demo libraries it never crashes, when I use my company central library it crashes. So now I'm wondering what to do, because we have a large library and it probably must be converted in some way.

regrads

Davide

• 9. Re: VX.2 crash!
                          raliesch

Open and Close the Library with the Library Manager. You will get a message that the library will be updated. Maybe this is the Problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: VX.2 crash!
                            davide.camerano1

raliesch I solved my license problems (the hardware dongle driver had to be updated) so I was able to open the PCB with expedition. Once inside expedition I could open the central library (without a crash) and it was converted to the new format, as you suggested.

So, now it is possible to work with the PCB. Opening the schematic with DxDesigned (both from windows and from expedition) it still crashes!

The behaviour is: the schematic opens but the first time you click on the schematic sheet, or select a menu voice or push a button in the bar it immediately crash!

regards

Davide

• 11. Re: VX.2 crash!
                              robert_davies

Have you tried deleting the contents of the WDIR as suggested previously? If that works I would not suggest you put the contents of the old WDIR back - it would indicate that something in the WDIR is causing the problem. To migrate the WDIR contents uninstall and then re-install VX.2 and use the option on the WDIR path dialog to copy the contents between the old and new WDIR. This will ensure only good data is copied.

• 12. Re: VX.2 crash!
                                davide.camerano1

I tried also running DxDesigner with an empty WDIR. I have 2 paths in the WDIR variable: one is local, the other one is a network path (contains the company-wide settings). Both were empty. It still crashes.

regards

Davide

• 13. Re: VX.2 crash!
                                  davide.camerano1

I tried also the migration of the WDIR content. Only the local one was migrated. The other one is still empty.

It still crashes.

regards

Davide

• 14. Re: VX.2 crash!
                                    robert_davies

Then you will need to contact support, we've pretty much exhausted all the obvious solutions.

1 2 First Previous