8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2017 10:43 PM by sajivnglnice

Padstack via

sajivnglnice

Dear All,

In my design i would like to use particular via for the particular pad stack. This via is different size from the default via. How can i fix and check?

I'm using 7.9.5 version.

Thanks & Regards,

Sajiv.

• 1. Re: Padstack via
          jeff@viavi

I would put a rule area around that specific part and assign that via to be used.  We do that for BGAs where we have to use a smaller via, but we don't want to use that via on the rest of the board

• 2. Re: Padstack via
            sajivnglnice

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. Your case it's OK. But in my case the padstack is an ICT testpoint. I have to place ICT test point for all nets in the board with via(not t default via). Most of the ICT's will have via and some of the ICT's don't have.

Thanks & Regards,

Sajiv

• 3. Re: Padstack via
              Jack

I am new at this but took an online training class.

From the menu Place>TestPoints>Auto-Assign

then look for the button "Setup Parameters"

In that dialog box you can set the via name that you want to use for your test points

(also, if you want to convert an existing via to something else, I'm pretty sure you can right-click on it and change it in the properties dialog. I think you can also right-click in route mode to select a via type you want to place, and after it is placed you can "fix" these vias, if that is what you meant in your question)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Padstack via
                sajivnglnice

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please share some images to set particular via(not default via) for test points in the setup parameters?

Thanks,

Sajiv

• 5. Re: Padstack via
                  Jack

ok, first you have to have a CELL made that you want to use:

TestPointVia1.png

Then you go to SetupParameters>General and choose the cell you want:

TestPointVia2.png

When you auto-assign test points, it should use the new cell

(where did all the support people go???)

• 6. Re: Padstack via
                    sajivnglnice

Hi Jack,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Now i got how to set test points for auto assigning(not exactly i'm looking for).

I think we can define via based on net classes, not on padstack.

Thanks & Regards,

Sajiv.

• 7. Re: Padstack via
                      Jack

Yes, what I was responding to was for auto-assignment of ICT test points.

To change an individual via to a different via you can select it and then choose "Properties" from the right-click menu, and then select from the list of approved via padstacks for that net type. (I might be using the wrong words because I'm still using 7.9.5 from AutoActiveRE)

I think there would also be a way to select ALL vias of a certain type and change them as a batch, but I'm not sure how.

You might want to give more details about exactly what you are trying to do.

-

Your original statement
                      "use particular via for the particular pad stack. This via is different size from the default via"

is too vague.
                      What is the specific operation you are trying to perform?

• 8. Re: Padstack via
                        sajivnglnice

Hi Jack,

I am having test points. For these test points i will make fanout(pad on via). Our engineers are asking some big size via for the test points(irrespective of net class).

I looking for options that if i'm performing fanout from the test point then that via should be the bigger via.

Or how to assign a particular via for the test points.

Finally  how i resolved the problem means, i inserted via in the test point cell itself. Wherever for the test points not requiring via  i deleted it manually in the layout.

Thanks,

Sajiv.