2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 1:30 PM by muddee

Not using part number in variant manger to index BOM

muddee

Hello everyone,

In PADS Pro central library, I have some parts defined like C1206 (for 1206 capacitor) so that I don't have to create a new part in CL for every single 1206 capacitor I added to the  database. However, this gave me problem when I was trying to create BOM using the Variant Manager. As shown below, the VM is indexed by part number, and it is treating C1/C2/C3 as the exactly same parts though they have different capacitance. As a result, C1/C2/C3 shows on the same row in the BOM report. Is there a way to use our company part number, which is unique, to index this list?

Thanks,

Dawei

• 1. Re: Not using part number in variant manger to index BOM
          robert_davies

You are limited to Part Number in VM as this is defined as the unique identifier in the Central Library flow. It would be better (though probably more work for you) to map your unique company part number to Part Number in the library. This ensures all of the tools will work correctly.

I understand why you have approached the library in the way you did with a generic Part Number (I also worked in this way previously) and there was an Idea on the DxDesigner Ideas site promoting this way of working but it didn't gather many votes.

• 2. Re: Not using part number in variant manger to index BOM
            muddee

Robert, thank you for getting back to me. Yeah that's what I thought. I also could understand the pros and cons of using very specific part number, or using our company number for part number. Fortunately I could use Part Lister to generate the BOM which is what I want, and don't have to use the export function in VM.