For your Xpedition .dbc file change it from Cell Name to PKG TYPE. To quickly do this, you can just open the .dbc file in notepad and search for AttName="Cell Name" and change it to AttName="PKG TYPE" that way it will leave your FieldName alone so you won't have to make any changes to your database.
Hello Travis - I'm afraid this did not fix my problem, neither as PKG TYPE nor PKG_TYPE.
An observation - I do not see PKG TYPE defined as a System Property in the property definition editor but I do see Cell Name.
BTW - If I select a symbol from the schematic I do indeed see the footprint in the Cell Preview so my question would be how does the footprint get displayed. What property is used to get the footprint from the central library or is there a different mechanism at work
Not sure why that wouldn't be working for you... I've got VX.2.1 as well and it's working just fine for me. I don't have the PKG TYPE defined as a System Property either, I believe it's built into xDx to support Netlist flows. When my cell preview didn't work I just tried changing to it to PKG TYPE and that seemed to do the trick.
Double check that you see the following in your dbc file. My Field Name in my database is still Cell Name and I'm just translating it to PKG TYPE for Databook.
When I change back to Cell Name the Cell Preview no longer works in Databook but does work when I select a part in the schematic as you described so I believe that part of it is normal.
Yes I fixed this and other problems in my .dbc file - I hadn't mapped my (ODBC) field names to (xDX) property names correctly.
I've got a few irritating problems I am working through with some cells not showing but in the main things now work.
Thanks for your help