4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 8:17 PM by mjk

AMS with S-parameters

mjk

Dear all,

I have a question about PADS AMS.

Can PADS AMS do circuit simulation with S-parameters like QUCS?

I can't find a reference manual about it.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: AMS with S-parameters
          weston_beal

The S parameter model is called from a SPICE subcircuit. There is a 2-port example built in that you can use. You can also use this example to extend to as many ports as you need.

There is probably another way to do this, but this is the method I found. Start by selecting the Search/Place Symbols icon from the toolbar (red circle in image). In the symbol list, find AMS Simulator Models > SpicePrimitives > two_port_network (purple arrows in image). You can see the contents of the subcircuit by clicking the Open Model button (green box in image). From there just edit the STRING: parameter to match the name of the S-parameter file. If your S-parameter file has other than 2 ports you can edit a copy of this subcircuit and save it with a different name. Look up the FBLOCK model in the Eldo reference manual for details on the model parameters.

I hope this gets you running with your S-parameter data.

Regards,

Weston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AMS with S-parameters
            mjk

Dear Weston,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I have a question about your guide.

I changed the "data.part" to s-parameter.

and the s-parameter is stored in the same directory with the project file.

Please let me know if I'm correct.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: AMS with S-parameters
              weston_beal

Meejeong,

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work. I wonder about your S-parameter file, though. The standard file name extension for Touchstone files is .S#P where the # is the number of ports represented in the file data. Usually, a .SP file name extension is for SPICE files. I suggest that you confirm that the data file is truly 2-port S-parameter data. Then this configuration should work fine.

Regards,

Weston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AMS with S-parameters
                mjk

Dear Weston,

As you mentioned, I put the spice model into the string by mistake.

Thank you for your help.