2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2018 7:57 AM by phiet

Does PADs Pro VX.1.2 Update 13 supports IPC-D-356 file generation?

pares

I saw that somebody already asked the question on:

https://communities.mentor.com/ideas/16233

But, the answer was only the following:

"We now support this with Pads Pro via the Export->General Interfaces command as of VX.2.4."

When I refer to "Manufacturing Inputs and Outputs Guide Software Version PADS-Pro VX.1.2", the IPC-D-356 is mentioned at page 7 only. When I look at page 9 for the "Table 1-2. Product/Interface Availability and License Matrix", it seems that PADs Pro have all the licenses. The IPC-D-356 is not mentioned in this table, but I wonder if it is really the case. It is not clear to me that this feature is not supported. If it is supported, please tell me, in detail, how to generate IPC-D-356 file with my current PADs Pro installation? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Does PADs Pro VX.1.2 Update 13 supports IPC-D-356 file generation?
          pares

I just had the confirmation from Mentor that it is not supported exactly the way I was looking for. Here below the answer that I received:

Basically, at this time, IPC356 isn't available in PADS Pro Layout product. If you use the Output > ODB++, ODB++ includes an embedded netlist. You can export IPC-2581 from the ODB++ output. IPC-2581 is a single .xml file that contains pads/traces/drill/net information.

Fortunately, you can export IPC-2581 from ODB++, and either of these two can be used to validate Gerber data as ipc-356 would. Most fabs have no issue working with ODB++.

Although I know that you and other customers in the same situation would prefer to have IPC356 as an option, it is not currently the format that Mentor is promoting for PADS Pro.

But as you found out through https://communities.mentor.com/ideas/16233 post that Mentor Engineering is considering it for a future release. So it will be available in the upcoming release.  In the meantime, you can try the above suggestion to get around this.

• 2. Re: Does PADs Pro VX.1.2 Update 13 supports IPC-D-356 file generation?
            phiet

But be aware that ODB++ output from MOA does not support that IPC2581 !!!! only the other ODB++ ouput menu ... so funny ....

fablink to output IPC-2581