The current way we do things is we have a res_thruhole.1 symbol that represents a through hole resistor. Then we update the DEVICE, PART_NUMBER, PKG_TYPE, TOLERANCE, VALUE.
The part is being used in a block that is then replicated many time as instances. When I updated the properties on the block, some of the fields seemed to update, however, the PKG_TYPE did not and I'm not sure why this would happen.
I found the reason was that this happened, it was because when I did a search and replace I replaced items on all of the instances creating an instance value and values of the remainder of the schematic. However, when I did a subsequent change of properties, I did so only within the block which did not update the instance.