3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 8:04 AM by cesario_espiritu

PADS to PDF files ~ is there any way to keep text as text?

advntr_inxs

We're exporting DXF files for assembly dwgs from pads which are essentially worthless as no one can

read the tiny text (even with a magnifying glass) once we've converted them to DWG's and PDF's.

Does anyone know if there's a way to export or manipulate the files so that the text in the PDF would actually be be searchable as text?

*My suggestion is to make the text larger on the assy. dwgs and no one likes that idea.

I'm searching for other ideas. Hope someone has one, because I sure don't.

Thanks,

~Randi

• 1. Re: PADS to PDF files ~ is there any way to keep text as text?
          Community_Admin

Thanks for your post, advntr_inxs. I am going to move it to the PADS specific community where it will receive greater visibility among subject matter experts. The Members Resource area is for general community questions and suggestions.

• 2. Re: PADS to PDF files ~ is there any way to keep text as text?
            benradu2

I have the same problem.

One way of getting a searchable pdf is to use Libre Office to open the dxf and export to pdf. But the text location will be shifted so is not very useful.

Exporting pdf directly from Layout is another way but then any editing on the pdf (adding border, notes) is a pain.

I still don't have a good solution.

Ben

• 3. Re: PADS to PDF files ~ is there any way to keep text as text?
              cesario_espiritu

Try to export directly from pads layout.

The pdf will be searchable and some of the component attributes can be viewed in a pop-up box by right click the part.  Once you open the pdf, there is a pulldown menu a top assembly and a bottom assembly and then under the top and bottom assembly a list of all the component parts in alphabetical order. Parts can be quickly located by selecting the Ref Des. in the pulldown menu or by CTRL + F in the keyboard. In addition to polarity identification “dot on silkscreen” pin numbers on decal can be added to quickly verify the proper orientation of the parts being placed specially IC’s and parts with multiple pins.  Please screen shot below  as your starting points. It is completely configurable depending on how you like the output.

Procedure:

From file menu, create pdf.