5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 8:01 AM by jleine

Xref only added when off page flag is named?

mrand

Short and sweet: am I overlooking a setting to get off page flags to add Xref page numbers without manually assigning the name of the net to the flag?

Slightly longer version:

Using vX2.2, in order to get Tools > Cross Reference > Project to add page numbers to the off page flags, it appears I have to manually put the net name into the name property of the flag (shown below). The _MDC net right above has a blank "name", and does not get Xref'ed.

This is not a small design, so the amount of effort to add net names to each flag would be considerable.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Xref only added when off page flag is named?
          varunk

Off page symbol name must be defined in scout.ini - for the offpage symbols that are missing sheet-zone info did you check if they are added in scout.ini?  As for net name (value of Name property) attached to offpage symbol it's automatic, that is, as soon as offpage is attached to a named net it inherits net name.  This is not be confused with offpage symbols not getting sheet-zone info after running Cross Reference.  Btw, how do you know that MDC has a blank name - your jpg does not show this.

• 2. Re: Xref only added when off page flag is named?
            jleine

Hi mrand,

The off-page or annotation symbol must have the same name as the matching annotation symbol. That is how it finds them.

The electrical connection is determined by net name. The annotation symbol is used for the page number and so you can  follow it in the schematic (alt-lmb), so in a sense they are only there for the user.

I always make it a point that the annotation symbol name always matches the net name. You can have the annotation set to match the net name in the Designer automatically. Go to setup-->settings and set "automatically synchronize links and net names". This will not fix existing links,  but all new ones will be the same as the net name.

There is also a DRC that checks to make sure they match, but I do not know it off hand.

Another thing I noticed is that schematic pages that are opened for editing sometimes do not get the annotation updated if they are opened for editing. I always close all of them before I run the update other objects or the cross-reference update.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Xref only added when off page flag is named?
              jleine

mrand,

Let me know if that fixed your problem.

Thanks,

• 4. Re: Xref only added when off page flag is named?
                mrand

jleine wrote:

[...]

Go to setup-->settings and set "automatically synchronize links and net names".

[...]

This will not fix existing links,  but all new ones will be the same as the net name.

[...]

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Indeed it does.  It's unfortunate it doesn't fix existing, since this is an older migrated design.

But greatly appreciate the response.   I think your reply should be marked as the correct answer - it correctly addresses the complete issue with the setting.

Marc

• 5. Re: Xref only added when off page flag is named?
                  jleine

My technique for fixing existing annotations is select all of them (one symbol type at a time) on the page using the find tool, detach them, then move them to to one side a little and then move them back so they reconnect. Then they pick up the name.