11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 5:56 AM by carl.worthington

Wire Code / Wire Number

carl.worthington

Hi All,

Where do you put the wire number, the number you wish to see on the schematic and printed on the wires of the harness?

VeSys always begins "Wire 1" but say we use "Safe L" this wire will apear in  a few different places but VeSys 2.0 will only let you use the number once.

• 1. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
          Muhammad_Askar

Hi Carl

A wire that is going to be used in different places of the design (different diagrams even), is a design-wide wire. If we take the example in your post, then you will need to place a wire as normal, and then right click on it to view its properties. From there, the name field can be edited to be "Safe L". Now if you double click on the wire in the Design tab (under wires folder) you will be able to place another 'instance' of that wire on the same/different diagram in the design. Both are now instances of the same wire (hence same connectivity for both) This is how you create a design-wide wire.

Just as a note, you should only be able to create two instances of that wire such that it has only 2 ends. If you would like to connect different pins to the same 'signal' then you will need to add a design-wide splice (just like a wire) and then connect its instances to the locations you want to join with individual wires.

Let me know if this solves your problem

Cheers

Muhammad

• 2. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
            carl.worthington

Hi Muhammad,

I understand that part. What I ment is the wires with the same name are not the same wire. For example, Wire "Safe L" is a wire that connects from DEV 1 Pin A and to PIN B on DEV 3. Also, a wire also called "Safe L" connects from DEV 3 Pin A and to Pin C on DEV 4. "Safe L" is what is to be printed on the wire in the harness and also to be displayed on the schematic.

• 3. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
              Muhammad_Askar

Hi Carl

There is a way to do this, by editing the wire properties you can give the wire the same name as another one. However, from a manufacturing perspective this would probably need some extra work on their end to separate the wires that are different but have the same name. So I would like to understand why this is required so I may be of assistance in achieving the core requirement from the tool.

My understanding is that these are two different wires that have the same name:

1. Is it just that they need to "appear" to have the same name on the drawing? If so, then you could style a property "AlternateWirName" for instance, to appear instead of the name and actual names can be unique
              2. Will these wires go on different harnesses or the same harness? If different then I think it would be OK to name them similarly as they would have different harness attributes and go on separate harnesses.

Cheers

Muhammad

• 4. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                carl.worthington

Hi,

The properties of each wire can remain unique. as you say, its the number that apears on the schematic and the number that apears on the harness that needs to be displayed, not the unique number. The reason is that wires on a lot of automotive applications are one colour with a number that is printed on to the wire. This information needs to be detailed easily and displayed as the only number on the shematics and obvious to the manufactirer what should be printed on to the wire. So a wire would be unigue in a harness but could have the same number shown on the schematic and on the harness as well as apearing in other harness. Also, the wire could run through several harness and appear more than once in a harness but still require the same number to be shown on the schematic and printed on the wires.

• 5. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                  Muhammad_Askar

Ah, I see! Thanks for the thorough explanation.

In this case, what I would recommend is altering the default style such that for wires, Name is hidden, and Wire Color attribute is added and styled in place of the name. A property 'Wire Order' would also be styled such that it appears next to the wire colour attribute.

Then add a property 'Wire Order' to all wires in the design (multi selecting and adding a property), and by adjusting the value of that, the result that appears on the diagram is that the tag f the wire is its colour and a number next to it.

Note that for wires that you would want to exclude form this rule, you can simply delete the decoration of the wire off the diagram and that will hide it, then you can make another property/attribute instead visible (e.g. Name)

Would that solve your issue?

Thanks

Muhammad

• 6. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                    carl.worthington

Hi,

Yeah sort of i think. in VeSys classic it was known as "Ident Tag" under the wire insertion comand.

Also, the wire "Option" could have the same number typed in and then have the ident tag could be set to be automaticly the same number.

So in theroy, could a property called "Wire Tag" be created?

Then the number to be shown on the schematic with wire size and colour also be displayed?

This would also have to be shown on the harness drawing including wire tables and cutting lists.

This needs to be considered as when sending a cutting file to a Komax cutting machiene, the wire inkjet printer is connected to the Komax and this information is used to program the number that the inject printer will print on to the cable.

• 7. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                      carl.worthington

Attached is a copy of a schematic. You will see the number on the wires that will also apear on the harness.

I could put a PDF of the harness if that helps?

• 8. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                        Nuri

Yes, you can create an additional property called "Ident tag" or you could use one of the existing attributes such as "Secondary Wire Number", include that in the styling.

Thanks

Nuri

• 9. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                          carl.worthington

Hi Nuri,

Yes that looks good.

How do we change the style set so only the second wire number, colour and CSA are shown in the design diagram?

• 10. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                            Nuri

Run "Edit -> Styles -> Style Set..." then select the "Wiring -> Wire -> Vertical/Horizontal -> Attributes".  Pick the existing "Name" and uncheck the visibility, then press "Add" from the left pane, and add the "Secondary Wire Number".

Good luck,

Nuri

BTW there is a test drive on how to use styling in VeSys 2.0 also.

• 11. Re: Wire Code / Wire Number
                              carl.worthington

Hi Nuri,

I am running 2009.1

Where are avis kept?

I have been through the styl set under wire and there is no mention of wire name ????