5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 8:22 AM by avjohn

Nelist tool functionality changed between ePD2005 and EE2007.

avjohn

One of the requirements in our efforts to migration to EE2007 DxDesigner is that we need to be able to create a Zuken CR-5000 netlist.  Since Mentor has chosen not to directly output a CR-5000 netlist with DxDesigner we have another method we've been using.  In ePD2005.1 we output a RINF netlist with all the related files that the netlist tool produces and Zuken had a program that would convert the files into the nelist files required by CR-5000.  One of these related files was the "PXR" file which is apparently used for cross probing.  Mentor, in their infinite wisdom, decided that in EE2007, there was no requirement to ouput the "PXR" file and so it's not possible to get that file from PCBfwd.

Did anyone at Mentor check to see if the PXR file was needed by their customers?

Why would Mentor take away functionality that is needed?

Why doesn't the PCBfwd netlist tool provide the same outputs in EE2007 as it did in ePD2005?

Since we use Zuken as our PCB layout tool we will not be able to migrate to EE2007 without this issue being fixed.

Tony

• 1. Re: Nelist tool functionality changed between ePD2005 and EE2007.
          yu.yanfeng

Tony,

Have you modified the configration file for visula netlist to make viewdraw writes out  PXR file ?  the configration files are %SDD_HOME%\SDD_HOME\standard\rinf.cfg and rinf_vdf.cfg. In default, WritePXR is no, you should chnage it to Yes like below

WritePXR YES  | Enables the creation of the Cross Refenece File <design>.PXR

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: Nelist tool functionality changed between ePD2005 and EE2007.
            avjohn

That's the first thing I checked for.  That command is in the config file.  If you look at the documentation for EE2007, the WritePXR command is no longer listed.  Mentor has told me that they removed that command thinking that it wasn't needed anymore.

Tony

• 3. Re: Nelist tool functionality changed between ePD2005 and EE2007.
              yu.yanfeng

Tony,

You are right! I check it and it really doesn't work.

Yanfeng

• 4. Re: Nelist tool functionality changed between ePD2005 and EE2007.
                paolo_spazzini

Tony,

I am responding to your Communities posting with respect to the loss of the PXR file capability between the epd2005 and EE2007 Zuken netlist flows which is impacting your migration.

In doing so we would like to try to address both the short term requirement of providing you with the PXR capability in EE2007 as a software update to enable migration but also take the opportunity of gathering any longer term requirements in the areas of passing generic connectivity and constraint information to Zuken and other non-Mentor PCB flows.

We will not bother you with the historical steps that resulted in the lack of PXR capability from the 2007 DxDesigner Zuken netlist flow other than to assure you that it was not done without any disregard to customers. We do have customers using the Rinf/Visula I/F without the PXR files however the issue is now logged as a defect and we will endeavor to push this through as a software update and we will let you and other impacted customers know when it is available on SupportNet.

Longer term we are investigating whether to promote the use of a generic format such as DxDesigner’s QCV and from there provide customers with a toolkit for them to be able to extract and pass over to non-Mentor PCB flows the information that is needed.  A similar approach could also be used with a generic constraint format.

With this we also encourage other community users to provide input into the idea of supporting such a generic but customizable interface.

Kind regards,

Paolo

• 5. Re: Nelist tool functionality changed between ePD2005 and EE2007.
                  avjohn

Paolo,

Thanks for your response.  I think we may be the only Mentor customer using Zuken CR-5000 (or at least that's what we've been told by Mentor) and since Mentor didn't know that the Zuken netlist creation process requires the PXR file, I can understand why Mentor thought that the file wasn't required anymore.

I will look on SupportNet to see when this fix is available.

Thanks,

Tony