5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 9:29 AM by roby

moves all the assembly references to the origin and changes the height and orientation

poornima.veerabhadraiah

Hi

I used move assembly references to the part centre.

In this script it moves all the assembly references to part centre.But for small packages like 0402 assembly references
      overlaps with assembly outline with 40mil text height,but if I reduce the text height it may fit inside the asembly
      outline,but it will not be visible in drawing if the text height is reduced less than 35mils.Can anyone help me what is the solution
      for this.Also it has to take care of the number of digits suppose if the reference is followed by more than 2 digits(Example:
      R112) it overlpas even for 0603 packages.

Regards,
      Poornima

• 1. Re: moves all the assembly references to the origin and changes the height and orientation
          bparise

We see this on every board we do. High density is a problem with this.

We usually remve discrete part silkscreen designators, and reduce the assembly designators to a size that fits in the assembly outline.

For very small parts, our assembly outlines are open ended, where for everything else the assembly outline is the exact BODY size.

Then we use a light grey color for pads, and Arial TTF for assembly designators and use black as the assy refdes layer color, we do this on a white background using a 'pdfassy' display scheme, saves a lot of time changing background and layer colors back and forth. The pdf files are searchable, so we do not concern ourselves with how small the refdes on the assembly is, look at the pdf with a computer, not the naked eye. To account for longer ref des, often even 5 or 6 characters, you can use the outside extents of the pads, these are printed but light grey as mentioned, so the refdes is clear even if placed over the pads. ALL assembly refdes, regardless, is located in the center of the part body and center - center justified.

This works well, the days of 'looking' at the assembly drawing are mostly behind us, parts are too small these days.

hope this helps

• 2. Re: moves all the assembly references to the origin and changes the height and orientation
            poornima.veerabhadraiah

Hi,

By reducing the text height it will fit inside the assembly outline I already tried this,but my concern is if the assembler is using the hard copy

of assembly drawing for assembling the board( if it is manual assembly) they can not see the reference designator values through naked eye.

If there any alternate solution without reducing the text height so that can we move reference designator outside the assembly outline by defining cell package type.

I do understand it is very difficult in high density boards to place the assembly references outside the assembly outline.

It is better if it is inside the assembly outline however small the text the fits inside the assembly outline.

Regards,

Poornima

• 3. Re: moves all the assembly references to the origin and changes the height and orientation
              bparise

Poornima,

Sorry, no solution for you there, our boards usually have upwards of 3 to 4 thousand parts, some up to and over 10 thousand.

Crazy for us to think anyone would assemble manually. ALL our assembly refdes are in the middle of the part, regardless of size reduction required.

Placing outside component body only leads to ambiguity as to which part a designator is referring to.

All our boards are machine loaded for SMT, so no-one has to look at assembly DWG with naked eye.

Just a note though, if you reduce the text height, make sure you reduce stroke width as well if you are using the Veribest Gerber fonts, or it would be unreadable anyway. We always keep the height/stroke aspect ratio to 8:1 or more.

Hope you find a solution.

• 4. Re: moves all the assembly references to the origin and changes the height and orientation
                kendall_hiles

I could change it to fit the size of the outline like BoardStation used to do.  I threw this together mainly to get all the text in the same directions with some hope of figuring it all out on dense boards.

-kendall

• 5. Re: moves all the assembly references to the origin and changes the height and orientation
                  roby

Hi Poornima

which script do you use for that ( can you share ) ?

There is a script  MoveAssemblyRef.vbs which comes with the AATK 4.1 (under c:\AATK\vbs\Manufacturing\)

But since we upgraded to EE7.9.1 this script no longer works !

can you assist with this problem ?

Thank you

roby