9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 6:40 AM by justin.mininni

Importing project data

justin.mininni

I have a big harness and would like to make a backup before I try to syncronize because sometimes it erases objects and causes a big headache. Unfortunately you cannot edit>undo and it also saves automatically. Ideally I would like to do the synconization on the backup copy first as a test.  I have already exported and imported the project once, but the file is old.  I have tried to export and re-import the latest project but I keep getting an error message stating:

Could not import "projectname.xml".  A project with the same ID already exists in this database. See the log file for more.

Is there anyway to delete the old "copy" of the project out of the database.  If not, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin

• 1. Re: Importing project data
          Joel_Pointon

Have you tried exporting the design rather than the project?

• 2. Re: Importing project data
            Joel_Pointon

Hi,

In order to export a Design you right click on it and select 'Export Design...' once you've exported the original design you will need to change the Name and the Part Number and then you can click 'File -> Import -> Import Designs... and select the original file you exported.

• 3. Re: Importing project data
              Joel_Pointon

Hi Justin,

We have been trying to re-create some larger designs for a customer that is still contemplating whether to migrate to VeSys 2.0 from Classic and you've now got me a little worried when you said you want to backup your design because synchronizing because "sometimes it erases objects".  Can you be more specific on what scenario's cause objects to be deleted, what these objects were, were you warned about the deletion, etc. because I would like to avoid any similar issues that could be responsible for deleting parts of my design when I synchronise!

• 4. Re: Importing project data
                Nuri

During the sync process, VeSys 2.0 Harness determines if connectors/wires need to be added/removed based on the current status of VeSys 2.0 Design.  If the wiring design has changed significantly (i.e. you have removed a number of connectors)  the sync action will remove these from the harness too, of course if you've added connectors or wire in the schematic then they will appear in the harness after the sync.

Tip: when running sync choose "simulate" - this will create a change report, telling you what changes are needed in your harness to match the schematic.

As for backing up the design, that's easy you have the following choice.

1. export the entire project (first close all designs), this can be automated using the command line if needed (there is already a community thread that talks about backup)
                  • if you do a normal export then you must delete/import to restore this project
                  • if you export using the "As Copy" then you can import and rename from a single action
                2. export the harness design (first close the harness design), RMB select the harness design and choose "Export Design" from the project browser
                3. export the harness using the harness exchange formats, DSI or CHS 3D XML, using  "File --> Export --> Export to.."

Thanks,

Nuri

• 5. Re: Importing project data
                  Joel_Pointon

Hi Nuri,

Good call on the "simulate" functionality as it is useful to see what differences there are between the designs before it sync's.  I've actually just tried the "simulate" button and it works quite well, because I have got quite few differences I've copied/pasted the information into "Notepad" from the lower window, is this the best method for keeping/printing the report?

To clarify your suggestions can you confirm my assumptions below?

2.  This method of exporting the design sounds similar to my suggestion, was I correct in stating that you need to change the Name and Part Number fields after you have exported or you will not be able to import the design back into the same project?

3.  You have to open the design before this functionality is enabled?

• 6. Re: Importing project data
                    Nuri

Sledge_Hammer wrote:

2.  This method of exporting the design sounds similar to my suggestion, was I correct in stating that you need to change the Name and Part Number fields after you have exported or you will not be able to import the design back into the same project?

During the Import you get the opportunity to change the name and partnumber.

Sledge_Hammer wrote:

3.  You have to open the design before this functionality is enabled?

Correct, this harness exchange format is only available for the actively open design.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 7. Re: Importing project data
                      Joel_Pointon

On item 2. I didn't seem to have the option to change the Name and Part Number when I was importing, they were highlighted in Red and the OK button was greyed out.  It may be the method I used to import the design, I think I may have inadvertantly been trying to import into an existing design....   I'll try it again.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Importing project data
                        Nuri

When importing the Harness design (File -> Import -> Import Design) the row will appear as red, just double click in the name and partnumber fields to rename, once you have a unique name/partnumber you can press OK and the design will be imported (copied).  Of course, you could just click "Overwrite" to replace the harness with your stored backup.

Thanks,
                        Nuri

• 9. Re: Importing project data
                          justin.mininni

Sorry, I wasn't able to get back on and check this thread until this morning.  First off, to answer Sledgehammer:

I have not tried exporting just the design. That was a good suggestion, thank you.  Basically, it would erase objects where I may have forgotten to assign the harness attribute, such as connectors. I was not warned about the erase, it just erased them and saved the harness design.

Now, what Nuri had mentioned, is something I didn't know about, but completely solves my issues and is a big help.  I have tried the "simuate" button and it tells me everything that is changing so I can make sure any objects that are going to get deleted, are fixed before I do the actual synchronization.

I didn't try exporting just the design, but when I exported the project, I did change the name, but it still doesnt work because somehow the ID is the same.  I guess I will have to look up the old community thread which explains the backup process.

Thank you both for your input!!  Not sure what I would do without this communities forum!!  It continues to be a big help!

Justin