8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 9:53 AM by aanconetani

Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing

aanconetani

Hi everyone,

I’ve created my own connectors in VeSys Component. I’ve created and associated a  comment symbol. And I’ve placed the connector in a wire drawing. Now, when I  go to synchronize the wire drawing over to the harness drawing I get a default block  symbol. I don’t get my nice comment symbol. Is there a trick to getting my  comment symbol to show up in the harness drawing? I’ve tried updating libraries  and symbols. I’ve also tried "update part" and "reselect  symbol".

Thanks

-Anthony

• 1. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
          jkoogler

Anthony,

This is done in style sets. Go to Edit/Style/Style Sets. Open Harness/Connector/Symbols. You should then be able to click on "Connector Symbol". At the top of that (default symbol) you will be able to define the library you have imported your connector views into. Once that is defined apply style sets (ctrl + shft + A) and the views should show up in the harness diagram.

Also make sure that the part number matches the name of the connector view exactly.

Hope this helps.

Jay

• 2. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
            aanconetani

Hi Jay,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was able to get to the window you suggest. But, I had to go to Harness/Connector/Decorations/Symbols. See a picture of the window in stylesets1.png.

Unfortunatly, the tool will only allow me to use the Quick Start Libraries library set. See picture of the window in stylesets2.png. I can't find a way to add my symbol library or replace the Quick Start Library.

I wonder if this is an evaluation limitation.

Thanks

-Anthony

• 3. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
              mike_templeman

Helllo Anthony,

It sounds like you may have created a new Symbol library.  By Default VeSys is set up to look in the Quick Start library however you can add more libraries that VeSys will use for symbols:

Edit > Style > Style Set... > Expand Harness > Design > General Settings >Library Sets

Now click on the Add... button to browse for the library containing your new symbols.

It may be easier to work with one Symbol Library and add sub-folders to better organise things!  This way you won't have to keep updating the libraries VeSys looks in.

Thanks,

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
                aanconetani

Mike,

Ah, that looks like the way to go.

Unfortunatly, my eval. license has just expired. So I can't test out your suggestion. I've asked the sales team if they can give me another temporary eval. license to finish out my testing. I'm eager to give your suggestion a try.

Thanks

-Anthony

• 5. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
                  Sysign

Anthony,

I'm sure your sales team will be willing to extend the eval license. 

Regarding Symbol Library management - Sub-folders are definitely advisable to help keep things organized.  Over time, your Symbol Library could potentially grow quite large, especially if you plan to add many connector views.  Stratigic use of multiple symbol libraries (with sub-folders) will improve ease-of-use and give you better control over library exporting (backups) down the road.

-James

• 6. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
                    aanconetani

Hi James,

Yes, the sales team is working on it.

So you would suggest multiple libraries with sub directories? If yes how would you divide the libraries? By supplier, by end customer, by functions?

Can you have multiple symbol libraries active in one project?

Thanks

-Anthony

• 7. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
                      Sysign

Anthony,

Yes, multiple symbol libraries with sub-folders as appropriate.  You can divide any way you want...I typically configure by supplier, sometimes even splitting to control size if several series are included.

After a symbol library is created, it is available for use in a project provided it is added to your Style Set as Mike indicated.

-James

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Connector Symbols on the Harness Drawing
                        aanconetani

Perfect, Thanks James

-Anthony