5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 7:35 AM by Joel_Pointon

Split Wire Table across multiple pages

mmensen2

I need to split the wire table across multiple drawing sheets and cannot figure out how to make this work.

To explain my situation:

My customer does not want me to use roll sized drawing sheets for harness drawings, so I insert additional A0 drawing sheets next to each other and layout the harness across the multiple sheets. For a very large harness the the wire table does not fit on one sheet. The problem I have is that I have not found a way to split this table in VeSys Classic like I can with the prevous CAD drawing programs used by my customer.

Does anyone know if it is possible to split the Wire Table across multiple sheets and if so how is it done? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a work around to make it look acceptable when I print the individual sheets.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Mark

• 1. Re: Split Wire Table across multiple pages
          mike_templeman

Hi Mark,

You can right-clicking on the wire table and select "Update Wire Table..."

You will then have the option to change the Table Scale Y Direction which will allow you to decrease the height of the rows to allow you to include more wires.

From here you can also change the maximum number of rows per table and the gap between tables when the maximum number of rows has been exceeded (Column Gap Length).

It is possible to adjust these settings, in particular the Column Gap Length,  so that you can spill over multiple sheets.  Adjusting the individual columns widths will also allow you to finely tweak this.  Please take a look at the attached images.

Thanks,

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Split Wire Table across multiple pages
            mmensen2

Mike,

Thanks for the response. That is the only way that I had found to manipulate it to work. I was hoping for something a little nicer, but I don't think there is really any other possible options.

Thanks again,

Mark

• 3. Re: Split Wire Table across multiple pages
              Joel_Pointon

Hi Mark,

I have seen many customers use the process Mike described, typically they will have a very large gap between columns so that only 1 column is shown per page.  I imagine the previous CAD system you were using was non-intelligent and so that would give you much more flexibility with the tables as you had full manual control over them.  I understand why you might want the layout of this table to be more configurable but this could create a lot of additional work for the tables for example it would need to consider the following:

• If the individual tables can be placed anywhere what happens if the number of wires exceeds the existing tables?
              • If the individual tables can be placed anywhere what happens if the  number of wires is less than the existing tables support, which table gets deleted?
              • What happens when the user tries to delete just one of the occurances of the table?
              • Should the software do anything is the user overlaps 2 of the tables?
              • What if the user increases the number of headings in the tables and they then start to overlap the other tables?

As you can see there are quite a few scenario's to consider but I guess this could be solved by a simple additional field "Groups Tables in xxxx Columns" so if this was set to 3 VeSys would put 3 columns next to each other and then leave the required gap.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Split Wire Table across multiple pages
                mmensen2

Actually, the CAD system that my customer previously used (and is still using at some of the platforms) is intelligent/parametric and did not have any of the problems you listed except for the overlapping could have been a problem, but that can even be a problem with VeSys if the user adds more columns or rows and overlaps other parts of the harness drawing. We will get by with using the process that Mike has described and if the customer does not like that we will just insert a table linked to an Excel spreadsheet created from a CSV file exported from the schematic.

Thanks,

Mark

• 5. Re: Split Wire Table across multiple pages
                  Joel_Pointon

Hi Mark,

I was just trying to point out that what sometimes appears as a "small enhancement or improvement" can invovlve a lot of work from the development team and with that in mind the workaround Mike suggested (although not prefect) isn't all that bad as workarounds go.  I'd be interested to hear what system your customer has/is using I've tried/worked with a lot of systems and not many of them come close to VeSys.