5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2010 9:11 AM by AndyW

how to do a simulation by dxdesigner (newbie question)

Nigon

Hi, all

Can anyone tell me how to do a simulation by dxdesigner ? (like using hyperlink)

I am not sure how hyperlink and Dxdesigner are related as far as doing a simulation.

I created a very simple circuit and wanted to try to simulate the circuit. I am trying to learn how to use the tools.

I think I am supposed to use the hyperlink from dxdesigner, but not quite sure how to use it.

Please provide detail instructions so that I can learn it.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: how to do a simulation by dxdesigner (newbie question)
          AndyW

Nigon,

There is a 3 step tutorial in PDF or in HTML that gets installed as standard and available from the HyperLynx Analog documentation.

There is also another set of on demand 3 tutorial webinars on SupportNet which are pretty easy to follow that cover everything.

As requested, details are included below for both the installation tutorial and also the on-demand webinars which are strongly recommended.

Regards,

Andy

PDF or HTM Docs installed with HLA:

Exercise 1 covers "Creating an electrical circuit from SPICE parts provided in the

HyperLynx Analog central library, then you simulate and view the results"

Exercise 2 covers how you can simulate a similar circuit that contains a resistor modeled in

Verilog-A, one of the mixed signal HDL based modelling languages.

Exercise 3 covers using the same DxDesigner schematic by creating an op-amp circuit that you simulate and also forward annotate to

Expedition PCB for Layout

Adobe Presenter on-demand webinars:

There are 3 highly recommended on-demand webinars:

• On-demand Web  Seminar: HyperLynx Analog Session 1
        • On-demand Web  Seminar: HyperLynx Analog Session 2
        • On-demand Web Seminar: HyperLynx Analog - Spice Up Your PCB Design
        •  

1. This is a complete overview of HyperLynx Analog with step by step  follow-along directions. Once you have completed Session 1 you will possess the  basic skills necessary to create and simulate your own Analog design with  HyperLynx Analog.
          2. This is an extension of Session 1 featuring advanced usages of  DxDesigner as well as using the awesome EZwave waveform viewer to display your simulation results.
          3. This wiill show you how to use the DxDesigner "engineering cockpit" to establish and manage sophisticated  functional simulations with HyperLynx Analog

Copy & Paste http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/circuit-simulation/hyperlynx-analog/ into your Web-browser using your SupportNet Login to access these on-demand webinars

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to do a simulation by dxdesigner (newbie question)
            Nigon

Hi, Andy

Thank you very much for the reply.

My quick question is about on-demand web seminars.

I have a mentor graphic account and I was wondering if these seminars are free.

If not, what do I have to do in order to watch these ?

• On-demand Web  Seminar: HyperLynx Analog Session 1
          • On-demand Web  Seminar: HyperLynx Analog Session 2
          • On-demand Web Seminar: HyperLynx Analog - Spice Up Your PCB Design
          • Thanks.
            • 3. Re: how to do a simulation by dxdesigner (newbie question)
              AndyW

Nigon,

If you have a Mentor Graphics Account, then log onto SupportNet, https://supportnet.mentor.com/ usually with your email address as your User Name and then your password.

One there, go to Products, then PCB Design Software, Analog Circuit Simulation, then you'll see the Toolbox down the left side of the page. The three sessions are listed there.

You will get prompted for your name, email address and other details but then should let you in to view the webinars.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how to do a simulation by dxdesigner (newbie question)
                Nigon

Hi, Andy

I am attaching the doucment for hyperlynx manual because I just have a couple questions.

In the docuemnt, there are exercises for creatng circuits and doing simulations.

I just want to ask what is the different between exercise 1 and exercise 3 in terms of creating circuits and simulations.

As far as I know, they seem to do the same things (like simulation), but in a different fashion.

Am I missing something, or am I correct ?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: how to do a simulation by dxdesigner (newbie question)
                  AndyW

Nigon,

As I see it Exercise #1 is different to Exercise #3 in the following ways:

1. Circuit is different in both although they are similar low pass circuits but #1 is composed of passive elements and #3 has active elements (Op-Amps)
                  2. Simulation Analysis is different in both, Transient (Time domain) in #1 and Frequency Analysis (Frequency domain) in #3
                  3. Also #1 is just a simulation exercise whereas #3 carries on and the Op-Amp design is actually physically laid out on a PCB

Best regards,

Andy