9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 11:20 PM by arnepagel

Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device

SHWTIME7

What is the easiet way to define a 32 pin connector so that I have each symbol pin independent of themselves. Which will allow me to place each symbol pin one by one. But insuring that all 32 pins get mapped to the same footprint?

Is there an attribute that is attached to the symbol or is everything controlled via the PDB?

I have attached an image of the conn symbol I am using.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
          robert_davies

The mapping is controlled by the PDB entry, you need to create a gate with 32 slots. Do this by importing the symbol as you have here, the 'Parts' property is not necessary. To ensure the connector packages correctly you need to assign the pin numbers (slots) via DxDataBook, Part Place or manually and then add the following: On each symbol add the Reference Designator with appropriate value and a property Frozen Package = Fix. Packager will then package them without re-assigning pin numbers. The symbols can be anywhere in your design doing it this way. Take a look in the SampleLib delivered with the install if you need to understand the mapping.

• 2. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
            taco.de.vries

There is one problem with this.. You have to have a "Ref Designator" property assigned.

When there is no Ref Designator, a re-package is forced which will change the slots (pin numbers).

This can, and most likely, will leave you with incorrect slot assignments.

After discussing this with a Mentor AE we came up with a work arround for this:

Assign a 'fixed' Ref Designator from DxDatabook, use something like "FIXME"

so it is obvious it has to be changed.

Taco

• 3. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
              dale.rebgetz

32 pins makes it a bit more time consuming to set up but there is an additional process to avoid the pin remapping problem.

That is to make 32 different symbols, each with the pin number already assigned and with the pin number in each symbol set to "Cannot be overridden..." - or whatever the equivalent is in DxD.

Then in the PDB one has 32 gates, each gate is uniquely mapped to one symbol and one pin.

With this method, regardless of any designator problems one may have, the symbol assigned as pin 1 will ALWAYS be connected to pin one of the connector - and so on with the the other pins.

Dale.

• 4. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
                Gary_Lameris

SHWTIME7 wrote:

What is the easiet way to define a 32 pin connector so that I have each symbol pin independent of themselves. Which will allow me to place each symbol pin one by one. But insuring that all 32 pins get mapped to the same footprint?

Is there an attribute that is attached to the symbol or is everything controlled via the PDB?

I have attached an image of the conn symbol I am using.

Any help would be appreciated.

Instead of Ref Designator = J?   Assign Ref Designator = J999

Also add the property Frozen Package = Fix as invisible to the symbol  (no need to show this)

Now when the symbol is placed on the design, the designer will have to manually assign the slot (pin number) and the Ref Designator, but packager is effectively disabled from making "automatic" changes.

Single Pin Connector.JPG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
                  arnepagel

I tried that solution above using the VX2.1 , but every time I repackage, the slots are getting reassigned!

The Problem is, I have a 200Pin Connector, and the pin assignment has to be fix.

The strange thing is, after Packaging the "Fix" value of the "Frozen Package" Property does disapear:

Also the Ref Des changes, even I Applied RefDes Renumber False

pin_num_rep.png

Any Idea what might be wrong?

• 6. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
                    robert_davies

Don't use the Repackage All Symbols option of the packager, choose either Package Symbols or Repackage Unfixed Symbols

• 7. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
                      arnepagel

Thanks for the answer,

indeed the Packer was set to "Repackage All Symbols", it seems to work right now.

Is there any way for the above solution to survive a "Repackage all Symbols" setting in the Packager?

In the Design flow, one of the first things is to define the connector Pins, but now I had to Repackage due to some other Library update.

I see it very likely, that hours of work will be wasted, if someone intentional or unintentionally chooses that option when packaging.

best regards

Arne

• 8. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
                        robert_davies

You can set the options in packager to be read only so that users cannot choose that option. Look up how to do this in the documentation with the product.

Another option you cn choose is Pkg Group, assign this to each symbol and give it a value, it can be any alpha-numeric string. Packager will then not repackage the pins and it doesn't need the Ref Designator to be pre-assigned.

• 9. Re: Single Pin connector (Symbol) for multi-pin device
                          arnepagel

Thanks for the hint,

the Pkg Group Property does the job for me