5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 7:02 AM by ian.cox1

Vesys 2 Components

ian.cox1

Hi.

In Components is there a way to add Manufacturers part numbers ?

I can see tabs for 'Internal', 'Customer' and 'supplier' only.

Regards,

Ian

• 1. Re: Vesys 2 Components
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Ian,

The supplier number is effectively the manufacturers number.

Joel

• 2. Re: Vesys 2 Components
            Joel_Pointon

As a bit of extra detail:

Internal Number = your companies part number

Customer Number = the part used by your customer

• 3. Re: Vesys 2 Components
              ian.cox1

Hi Joel.

Hope your well.

The problem is; for our developement/prototype work we do for convinience purchase components from RS or Farnell for example.

These part numbers are very different from the manufacturers part numbers, and often do not have any coloration in their numbering.

Ie: If I was after a 2w Amp Superseal receptacle connector - part number 282080-1 (RS 314-1198), and I had in the database the mating tab hsg 282104-1 (RS 314-1255), the database may contain 314-1198 because this is the purchasing number but I would need to search for 282080-1 because this is the 'true' part number. Now if I am right I can not search on description to find Amp 2w superseal, and 314-1198 and 314-1255 are random numbers to each other.

Am I missing something here, or with a large database will it therefore be possible to 'loose' a part due to this and end up duplicating parts.

Regards,

Ian

• 4. Re: Vesys 2 Components
                Sysign

Hi Ian,

It is typical that multiple "supplier" part numbers will be assigned to a part (internal p/n).  i.e. one for the manufacturer's p/n, and others for alternative distributor p/n's.  One of these p/n's will be designated as the "Preferred" supplier which of course can be changed later.  A search for a particular supplier p/n in the "Supplier" tab will "hit" regardless of preferred status.

I hope this helps.

-James W

• 5. Re: Vesys 2 Components
                  ian.cox1

Hi James,

I see; if I add the Manufacturer in as a 'Supplier' .

Then add the manufacturer and manufacturer part number as if it was another supplier and supplier part number - the database will then find the part whichever number I enter.

Would have been nice to have been able to correctly label it as being a manufacturer part number, but at least it works.

Thank you for help :-)