3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 1:58 PM by Sysign

VeSys 2.0 Component Connections

Michael

I have two questions at the moment:

1) In my application I have many wires that come from my harness vendor un-terminated (bare wires).

What is the easiest way to complete this tast so that in the schematic side I can show the wires connecting to a device (breaker, fuse, fuel sender, etc). On the harness side I would like to have a drop off location titled with the same device name and have a list of wires that drop off at this location. Is it possible to assign crimp connectors to the pins on a device? In VeSys classic I created a work around for this and assigned all my crimp style connectors as terminals. This then allowed my project to select the appropriate crimp connector part number based on the size wire I ran into the connection point. Is this possible in VeSys classic?

2) I would like to identify the following information on my wires in the schematic file. (wire name, wire size, color) Since we use AWG in place of mm^2 this becomes an issue. I am thinking the easiest way of accomplishing this is through a custom attribute for the wire part numbers. Is this correct?

Thank you,

Mike

• 1. Re: VeSys 2.0 Component Connections
          Muhammad_Askar

Hi Michael

Let me see if I understood, and can answer your questions one by one:

• Wires on schematic side: what format are you getting the wires in? How do you know where they should terminate? Excel sheet perhaps?
          • Wires on harness side: assuming the wiring was drawn correctly on the schematic side, when you synchronize, all wires stay terminated, and the default style set will show you a table at each connector having wires that terminate at this connector. You can show the device name as a property styled on the connector (which is probably more easily created on the schematic side).
          • Crimp style connector: not sure what crimp connector here means? If you mean connector with wires crimping into a single cavity, then that's readily available in VeSys 2.0, just assign the same cavity to all crimping wires end where the crimping should happen.
          • Wire size in AWG: the AWG string (e.g. AWG12) can go into the attribute Wire Spec. Having set your library wire sizes, the knowledge of material and AWG spec will enable the software to choose the right corresponding CSA when wires come into the harness design. Wire Spec can be style to show the gauge of the wire on the harness diagram in AWG format.

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve your query.

Thanks

Muhammad

• 2. Re: VeSys 2.0 Component Connections
            Michael

Muhammad,

Thank you for your response,

Let me try and clarify my issue..

When I receive a harness from my vendor it comes in with no connector or terminal on some wires. How can I accuratly document this using VeSys Harness.

Is there a way to have several wires drop off at a location without identifying a termination type? For instance I would like to have a drop off location on my harness identified as Fan Motor #1. On the design side I have located a motor device and attached a wire to pin #1 and pin #1. However, it does not appear I can bring those wires into the harness via a syncronization without defining the termination for each wire.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: VeSys 2.0 Component Connections
              Sysign

Michael,

The following procedure should help address your question.

1. Create a terminal in your Component Library, internal p/n "No Terminal".  Uncheck the "Include on BOM" box.. 
              2. Create a "dummy" or phantom 1 Cavity connector in your Component Library, internal p/n "No Connector".  Uncheck the "Include on BOM" box.  Cavity name of "UNTERMINATED" in Cavity Names tab.
              3. Add terminal "No Terminal" to Housing tab of connector "No Connector". 
              4. In your wiring design, create a connector and connect your "unterminated" wire(s) to the connector.  Name the connector (i.e "Spare Ground" and associate with Component Library p/n "No Connector".  Associate wires, connectors, etc. with the desired harness ID.
              5. Develop your harness design and sycronize. 

The PDF associated with this reply provides an example.  You may also want to check the information found in this previous thread.

http://communities.mentor.com/message/15477#15477

I hope this helps answer your question.

Best regards,

-James