2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 4:29 AM by SB

DxDesigner (PADS 9.2): Navigating through the nets

SB

I have several questions regarding the navigation through nets and busses. This action is very important in everyday work during the schematic capture.

I always use the flatten view of the Navigator because I need a overall view on all components and nets in my design.

The questions have probably also a lot to do how DxDesigner interprets nets:

1. In a hierarchical design a net which is used in several blocks is listed in the Navigator Window several times:
        Once as a "hierarchical" net with the plus sign; by clicking on the plus sign the nets of the underlying scheets are listet.
        By clicking on the net the net is highlighted on the Schematic Window. That's fine.
        But the same net is additionally listet as the underlying net for every subscheet:
        net1.PNG
        This highly increases the length of the list and makes the work difficult.
        Is it possible to switch this off ?
      2. On the other hand busses are not listet in a hierarchical way, only the single nets of a bus:
        bus1.PNG
        The bus is listed for every segment, i.e. also several times for every subscheet. This is not desired and not useful.
        For the top scheet there is a hierarchical view for the single nets, but also twice or more, depending on the count of bus segments.
        A real hierarchical view would be very helpful: Is it possible to get such a view ?
      3. For global nets a hierarchical view is not present, too. Such a net is listed for every used scheet, e.g. 9 times or more.
        Is a hierarchical view possible ?
      4. For a flat design consisting of more then 1 scheet a net which is present on several scheets is only highlighted on the first scheet.
        Also by changing to the next scheet the net is not highlighted there.
        How can I highlight such a net on the other scheets ?
      5. By selecting a net within the Schematic Capture window and using the pulldown menu item "Select Net" only a net
        segment is highligted, not the whole net on this scheet. For what this action is useful ?
        I would think that at least the whole net on this scheet should be highlighted.
        Good is that this net is in parallel highlighted within the Navigator so I can click on this net to highlight it within the Schematic window:
        But if this net is also present on scheet 1, the Schematic window switches to the other scheet (see question 4) ...

All these things make the everyday work harder then it should be. But maybe the questions can be answered and solved easily.

Best regards,
      SB

• 1. Re: DxDesigner (PADS 9.2): Navigating through the nets
          robert_davies

SB,

These are all good suggestions that you should post on the Ideas site. Currently there is no mechanism to switch off the expand option in the Navigator other than to hide items using the Settings - Navigator options.

Busses only list the contents (bus members) in the display because only the nets exist in the database.

You can also disply a tabular view of the connectivity using the ICT Viewer which is akin to the old Project Navigator Contents Window. This can alos be configured from the Settings - Interconnectivity Table section of the Settings dialog.

Rob

• 2. Re: DxDesigner (PADS 9.2): Navigating through the nets
            SB

Hi Rob,

I checked the ICT functionality whether it could help for my questions:

1. Within the ICT the nets are also displayed several times, for the top scheet and for all blocks.
            2. The same for busses, additionally the hierarchical information for the single nets of the bus is lost.
            3. Within the ICT the global nets are also displayed several times, for every block.
            4. For this issue the ICT does not help.
            5. The same here.

For my schematic entry approach the ICT is not helpfull, probably there are other approaches ...

Additionally I discovered that ordering the symbols regarding the ref designators - like within the Navigator - does not work at all.

So I will add my requests 1-3 to the Ideas site and 4-5 as a service request.

Hopefully there are many votes ...