3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 9:46 AM by Nuri

How to synchronize connectors in different diagrams?

j.j.vandoornik

Hi everyone,

I just started using VeSys for the design of our wiring harness, but struggling with one thing. I have one diagram with an ECU with 5 connectors on it. Every connector is for a different part of the harness, and I made 5 diagrams (one for each part). What I want is that the 5 connectors in the ECU diagram are synchronized and also appear in the 5 different diagrams for the seperate parts of the harness. So if I change one pin of the design of one of the harness part diagrams it will also be changed in the ECU diagram and vice-versa. I hope you understand my problem and hope that there's a solution.

Another small question: why can't I have the same names of pins on one device? I have devices with multiple connectors with grounds, and it's really frustrating having to call these GND1, GND2, etc.

Thanks!

Jelle

• 1. Re: How to synchronize connectors in different diagrams?
          Nuri

Hi Jelle,

I think I understand what you are asking... but lets be sure.  1) You would like to see the ECU on different diagrams of the same Wiring Design (each connector on that ECU has a unuqie harness attribute which corresponds to a harness design) and 2) then each one of those ECU harness connectors to appear on a different Harness Design.

Within VeSys 2.0 Design - With your ECU device, if you double click on it from the Design browser you can create a new instance of that device - therefore you can create a complete view on diagram 1 and additional views on the subsequent diagrams - renaming a pin on one diagram would update on all other diagrams where that pin exists (this is a two way link).  Then on each of the harness connectors mated to that device; you give it a valid Harness Attribute (i.e. designate it to a harness design, e.g. DOOR-DR, DOOR-PS, IP, ENGINE, ROOF etc).  Note this harness attribute should be added to the conductors (wires/multicores/shield-terminations) and destination connectors.

Within VeSys 2.0 Harness - create a harness design for each harness (ensure the harness name is either DOOR-DR, DOOR-PS, IP, ENGINE, ROOF or use the harness group attribute to list all the valid harness attributes).  Now you can synchronise from the wiring design to each target harness.  The connectivity is also synchronised since the wires should also have a matching harness attribute. Now, you have a link between the harness design and the schematic, any further changes made to the schematic can be synchronised into your harness design.  But this is a one way link - connectivity master belongs in the schematic.

Your final question 3)...

Another small question: why can't I have the same names of pins on one device? I have devices with multiple connectors with grounds, and it's really frustrating having to call these GND1, GND2, etc.

If you define the ECU with a Device Connector Footprint within VeSys 2.0 Components, the pin names must be unqiue (e.g. 1..10 in my example), however the Device Side Connector pin names can be unique to each connector, see the attached image of the device side connectors in VeSys 2.0 Design (where my device has two connectors with pins A/B/C/D/GND).  For this to work you must set the project preference (File --> Project Preference --> VeSys 2.0 Design --> Device) to show the connector pin name rather than the device pin name (which were created as 1..10).

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip [1].png

Thanks,

Nuri

• 2. Re: How to synchronize connectors in different diagrams?
            j.j.vandoornik

Hi Nuri,

Thanks for the quick response. Your description of my problem is correct but I don't understand your solution yet. You say I should define a new property for the device? And what then?

The thing with harness attributes and synchronization between wiring design and harness already works fine, thanks.

I understand your solution to my last problem, but I want to name the pins of the connectors as 1, 2, 3 and A, B, C and want the device to have names corresponding to the signal (GND, +5V, etc.). Is this possible?

Thanks again,

Jelle

• 3. Re: How to synchronize connectors in different diagrams?
              Nuri

Hi Jelle,

How are you getting on?

Regarding...

Thanks for the quick response. Your description of my problem is correct but I don't understand your solution yet. You say I should define a new property for the device? And what then?

I not sure where I said you need to create any new properties.  To create a new instance of the ECU, from the design browser just double click and then you can draw the new instance (or view).

As for the pin names section of your question, even if the device pins are GND,+5V,etc then the harness connectors can show pins 1,2,3 and A,B,C.

Thanks,

Nuri