2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 12:36 PM by taco.de.vries

How to get placement side from Expedition back into DxDesigner?

Andreas.Schaefer

Hi,

in Expedition PCB we are placing the parts on top or bottom.

Our BOM is generated from inside DxDesigner and we do not want to change this.

Has anybody an idea, how we could back annotate the placement side of a cell back into DxDesigner and attach this to the symbol of the part as a property?

I am not sure, but I think this was possible in Board Architect?

Sure we could write this information out by automation, but we would prefer a solution driven by backannotation and not needing an open DxDesigner then.

Something like the implemented back annotation of the cell name.

regards,

Andreas

• 1. Re: How to get placement side from Expedition back into DxDesigner?
          taco.de.vries

Board station has the property BRD_LOC that contains a string like this '1.0   2.0   1   0   IN'

It gets backannotated from boardstation to DA/BA.

I looked but I don't think there is something like that in place in DxD/Expedition, would

be nice to have though.

It looks like if you want functionality like that you have to program it.

Taco

• 2. Re: How to get placement side from Expedition back into DxDesigner?
            taco.de.vries

The drive home set me thinking on this, and I may have an idea for you to look into..

You can add properties in Expedition with automation, but these do not seem to get backannotated,

As a test I have added BRD_LOC, with as value X,Y,Side and Rotation but they do  not appear in

DxDesigner. But this set me thinking, what properties do get backannotated.. I am sure this is documented

somewhere, but I have not been able to find that.

What I do now (and have tested) is the Room property, which is an object for Component.

So this is the idea,

- you have 2 rooms, Top and Bottom

- you write some automation that observes a layer change (command OnLayerChanged Event)

if that fires you move the selected component(s) to the appropriate Room

- The Room property is backannotated to the schematic

- In the partlister you can just add that.

I have not tried the trigger part, and also am not sure if this can be made to work, but I like the idea ;-)

It may also be possible to use another property that is backannotated, but I have no idea which are.

Taco