10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 5:11 AM by Sysign

Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?

thomas.scharf

I have created a new part number for a terminal assembly. I'm not sure whether Type Code should be set to TERM or DEV, but as far as I get it doesn't seem to matter! This comprises 6 power pins and a 9-way D connector  so I've assigned 15 pins.

When I go to Symbol tab and click New, a field appears under Symbol Name.

The fields at the bottom go white. Mode is shown as Electrical. Symbol Library: is blank. When I press the down-arrow it just gives me a blank field ie, it is not picking up my Electrical library. On one of many occasions, when it did pick up my library, pressing the down-arrow at Symbol Name just brought up a random selection of 2 symbols (neither of which I wanted) rather than the whole list to choose from. I have successfully created parts with symbol and associated footprints in the past but, despite exiting VeSys and restarting, it refuses to find my electrical symbol library. I noted this type of behaviour a few months ago. I have tried pressing the refresh button.

Regards: Tom

• 1. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
          Phil_Davies

Tom,

The first thing we need to determine is exactly what you are trying to create, you say that this is a terminal assembly but describe a 9 way D-Type and 6 power pins. Is this a single unit with a single 9 way D and 6 individual power connections ?, if so you should be defining this as a DEV not as a TERM.

When you select the symbol it is import you understand the difference between a comment symbols (Dumb graphics) and a devices (Items with pins and electrical behaviour) and what each symbol library contains.  When you select Mode "Comment"  you will only be able to select libraries that contain comment symbols, conversely when you select Mode "Electrical" you will only be able to select libraries that contain devices.

Hope this helps

Phil D

• 2. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
            thomas.scharf

Hi Phil,

I've tried this both ways, as a DEV and as a TERM and it doesn't work either way. I understand the difference between Comment and Electrical. The issue is that I can't select any libraries because it doesn't find any. The Symbol libraries field is empty and when I press the down arrow, which should allow me to select from a list of Electrical libraries, I just get a blank field.

Maintenance.png

You can't see my mouse cursor, but this is the effect of pressing the down arrow next to the refresh icon.

Worryingly, I've managed to damage a part which I had earlier created correctly. Now when I pull it into a design I just get a device box rather than the symbol.

• 3. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
              thomas.scharf

Hi Phil,

I wondered if the issue might be that the Electrical symbol library isn't loaded unless it has been opened in VeSys Symbol. So I did that, and in Components>Tools selected Refresh Symbol Libraries. This made no difference.

When I looked at a component part which I had earlier assigned a symbol to, the Symbol Library field contains our electrical library and the symbol is shown graphically above. If I press the down-arrow on the Symbol Name field, it only shows a couple of symbols.

It could be that the library field is populated from the record which has been created for this part. For a new part it would have to search for libraries.

• 4. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
                Phil_Davies

Tom

I would suggest that you create a test symbol library then add one device and one comment symbol.

When you refresh the symbol library the new test library will be shown, if you select Mode "Electrical" you should see only the device, if you select Mode "Comment" you should only see the comment symbol.

Let me know the results.

Phil D

• 5. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
                  Sysign

Tom,

One thing you may want to check.  You indicated your (electrical) symbol has 15 pins (assumed to be external).  Your component library part must either have 0 or 15 pins before attempting to add a symbol.  If No. Pins = 0, you will see all electrical symbols when you "add new".  If No. Pins = 15, you will see only electrical symbols that have 15 pins.  If component library part "No. Pins" equals anything else, you will not see your symbol.

Regards,

-James 

• 6. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
                    thomas.scharf

Hi James,

That might be the next step but I can't even get it to see an electrical symbol library? Look at my screen shot above: I would have thought that was the first step.

(That might answer the question about seeing the very small selection of symbols)

I would like to do a Web-Ex with someone at Mentor so I can demonstrate what I'm seeing.

• 7. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
                      Phil_Davies

Tom,

Please can you raise an SR and CSD will arrange a webex with you.

Thanks

Phil D

• 9. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
                        thomas.scharf

James was correct but I feel that the way this is structured is less than helpful. I had another go at this while I was creating my service request. As a test I set the number of pins for my component to zero and deleted the pin names table. Under the Symbol tab, I was rewarded with my electrical symbol library and a full list of my symbols. I selected the symbol and the number of pins was updated on the Base tab.

I guess the lesson here is not to enter the number of pins for more complex components but to find the symbol first.

Component Maintenance obviously looks for all components with the required number of pins and in the event of these being found in several symbol libraries, would populate the drop down list with all the relevant libraries. If a symbol with a required pin number doesn't exist then there should be a pop-up warning to say that libraries have been searched and no symbols found (maybe with hint to try setting pin number to 0) rather than presenting blank fields which look like a malfunction?

• 10. Re: Can't assign a symbol to a component in Component Maintenance?
                          Sysign

Tom,

Glad to see the question has been resolved.  It's an easy situation to fall into, especially if you are coping a similar component that does not have the same number of pins.

Regards,

-James