8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 1:11 PM by m.soucek

Noob question

jbaron

Hi,

Im new to the Automation world. I have a simple task to acheive and I want to confirm that it is possible.

I just want to extract all footprint from a design in DxDesigner. For each footprint, in need all pin information, include the position of the center of the pin.

Is it something that can easily be done with Automation?

Thanks and regards,

Jerome

• 1. Re: Noob question
          andrew.french

I'm not really sure if you can get footprint information from DxDesigner. The Automation model does have info on PDBPartitions so you might be able to get the info from there.  However the easiest and most straight forward way to get footprint info would be to use the Expedition data model, there you can definitely get all the info you are looking for.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Noob question
            jbaron

Thanks for the answer. I have looked at the Automation Model and all the information I need seems to be there. It's a huge model!

One more question, I need to extract the data from Expedition to my application, coded in C++. I know I can use C++ directly to get the information, but for some reason, we want to use VBScript. So, my application will call an external script.

I was wondering if someone has an idea of how could I exchange the information between my application and the script itself. Should the script create a file with the data requested ? Do you see something better?

• 3. Re: Noob question
              andrew.french

The easiest solution and the one that makes the most sense to me would be to have your C++ App gather all the data and do what it needs to right there with it.  I'm not sure I understand why you would want to collect all the data using a vbscript and then try to figure out how to pass it all to your C++ App.  But yeah, I don't see any reason why you couldn't collect the data in vbscript, dump it all into a text file, and then have your C++ App read it all back in. Just seems like extra work but I obviously don't know all the details of what you are trying to accomplish.

• 4. Re: Noob question
                jbaron

Thanks. The reason why I want to use VBScript is because my application need to run under Windows and Linux. And I saw on the Expedition website that C++ scripting is not supported in Linux.

Thanks for your answer, I though of maybe using a TCP socket to share the data, don't know if it can be done.

• 5. Re: Noob question
                  andrew.french

hmm you must know something that I don't, I thought vbscript was strictly windows.  I know php is linux friendly though and I think it supports COMs not terribly sure on that one.  Luckily I don't have to support our Linux environment with automation. I should probably add "yet" to the end of that statement...

Have you tried C++ with Expedition in Linux?  Just because they say its not supported doesn't mean it won't work, just means if you have a problem you won't be able to get help from Mentor unless you can recreate the issue in one of their "supported" platforms.

• 6. Re: Noob question
                    jbaron

Although I aggree that this could work even if its not supported by Mentor, I doubt I could make it work. In Windows, I use the OLE/COM API to communicate with the Mentor application. Im not sure there's such an abstraction in Linux.

VBScript can run under Linux because the "mgcscript" application that Mentor provide can run under Windows and Linux (I didn't tried yet ...). This executable will provide the layer between the script and the Mentor application.

• 7. Re: Noob question
                      Mike_Walsh

jbaron wrote:

Although I aggree that this could work even if its not supported by Mentor, I doubt I could make it work. In Windows, I use the OLE/COM API to communicate with the Mentor application. Im not sure there's such an abstraction in Linux.

VBScript can run under Linux because the "mgcscript" application that Mentor provide can run under Windows and Linux (I didn't tried yet ...). This executable will provide the layer between the script and the Mentor application.

As of 7.9.2 you can also run Jscript on Linux using mgcscript as well.  Tcl is also an option for Linux and is another cross platform option.

Mike

• 8. Re: Noob question
                        m.soucek

If I understand well, you want to run one part of your software on linux by side with Expedition, and then process the data on other part of software on windows.

Then I think the easiest way will be sharing data over a network accesed file - with text file you can check result from linux easily before trying to process it.

There are some examples distributed with expedition instalation which show how to write to text file needed information from design database.