4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 12:02 PM by wolferm

Copy Trace

wolferm

Am I missing something or is PADS able to copy a trace?

I tried a number of ways.

If I make a 2DLine then made it copper but it really isn't a trace then?

I tried copy trace and the message in output window states click where you want trace placed but nothing

happens, the original trace is still attached to cursor with no copy made?

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Copy Trace
          yan_killy

Hello Bob,

Hello Bob,

2D Line or Copper is not a trace.

To copy a trace, you will need to select a pin that has a connection for this new trace to be copied. If the pin does not have a connection, you need to be in ECO mode which will create a logical connection and add/copy a trace from other route.

Regards, Yan

• 2. Re: Copy Trace
            wolferm

Yan,

Thanks, OK I see now, so there is no way to just copy a few trace segments & place them anywhere without a net assigned yet?

I need to route some intricate curved trace and it would be very helpful to be able to copy trace, then assign net, then finish hookup

at both ends of net.Needing to hit a pad to do it really does not help much as there would need to be a offset for route to each pad

whereas all of the center section of each net could be identical. Did I expalin that well enough?

Bob

• 3. Re: Copy Trace
              yan_killy

Hello Bob,

I see now what you are trying to do. In this case I will create these intricate pieces as Copper and copy/paste them. Later as you need to you can assign this Copper to an appropriate Net.

Do not create Copper pieces first as 2D Line and convert them to Copper. You can create Copper right the way. Of course you can do it anyway you want if it is easier for you.

If you have additional questions on how to accomplish these tasks, please consult Help Guide or contact our Customer Support Division. They are GREAT!

Regards, Yan

• 4. Re: Copy Trace
                wolferm

OK, yes I may want to contact support to see if there might be a better way, this does help a little

and thank you very much for the help.

The copper made trace only has a netline coming from one end of it not both,

so to actually make connection 100% using real trace after creating center sections by copying copper lines I'd have to trace over it anyway in trace,

unless I complete the connections using these copper created traces also I guess.

Thanks

Bob