11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 2:20 AM by yu.yanfeng

Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?

dirk.eyfrig

I'm astonished to see SPac 1 released without major Bugfixes.

Is EE 7.9.2 really running stable, or is nobody using it up to now?

What are you experiences on EE 7.9.2?

Any new issues found, compared to EE 7.9.1?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Best regards

Dirk

• 1. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
          chris.smith

We are approaching global release in @ 4wks and about 3/4 through our internal QA testing.

If you are Design Capture / Expediton flow, I know of a specific defect that we logged that I deem critical.
          it was patched with DC 9.1 Update 7 but missed the initial release of 9.2 (see the update 7) release for details.

We will have to wait for this to be patched for DC 9.2 before we can release to Engineering.

Essentially we had seen conditions where you could have corrupt iCDB values and you could have shorts

or opens in a design based on the schematic using flatnetname vs. actuals on particular nets.

Some general 9.2 comments are:

• The expedition core seems to be more stable (cross fingers ) We have a testcase that had the rules change to be more restrictive 5/7 vs 5/5
            after the shift in rules you could crash the design in @ 5 seconds. The new 9.2 build did not
          • We sometimes have users who disable DRC nudge pairs etc and reactivate drc then have dumps during pushes (9.1).
          • The install tree is different - So you might have to update scripts (7.9.2.EE\SDD_HOME vs 7.9.1,EE etc)
          • I can produce a defect with custom flashes that are rotated 45 degrees - (offset origin issue)  I will log this one soon.
          • Design Capture (minus the patch needed) passed all internal testing
          • Library Manager passed all internal testing.
          • 2. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
            bharadwaj.chalamchala

Hi Chris,

I just have few questions on the Tests that you have done for EE7.9.2, as we are also planning to move to this Latest Mentor EE Version soon.

1. Based on the Tests performed, could you please suggest a recommened PC Configuration. (For both Office and Laptop Environment, if possible.)

2. Have you perfomed any tests on Dx-Designer? If so, for Library Management do you use Dx-Databook? Based on my preliminary tests, Win 7 was not supporting the latest Oracle Client Version and I was unable to connect to our standard ODBC Server in Dx-Designer Databook Window. May be I will have to get in touch with Mentor on this.

3. Have you already logged any SR on the Custom Flash 45 Degree Issue. If so, could you please provide a testcase for the same, Just want to have a look at the issue in detail.

Thanks & Regards,

Bharadwaj.C.V.S

• 3. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
              chris.smith

1.- We have been moving towards Window 7. I have a mixture of users on x64 and the majority on 32bit,

--Our typical desktops are Dell gx980s (i7 or i5) -min 4 gb ram - prefer 8gb. w/ATI Radeon video and @ 500GB Drives

--Laptops are Dell Lattitude E6510 (i7) min 4 gb ram - prefer 6bg+ w/ Nvida Quadro and 250GB Drives.

Some of my users have been trying solid state drives but they have been unstable and much less space-

2. We dont use DxD - Check with support on your Oracle question but I found the note below.
              dts0100755372 — DxDataBook needs to support Oracle version 11 (Labeled as fixed in EE9.2 Release notes)

3. I believe we logged the defect on an earlier release - the "workaround" in the current version is to NOT enable gerber macros.
              if it is checked then you could have origin offsets in other 3rd party tools like Gerbtool & CamCAD. (or just use ODB++)

• 4. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                dale.rebgetz

Chris,

What is holding you back from migrating to DxD?

Thanks,

Dale (DC user)

• 5. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                  bharadwaj.chalamchala

Thanks for the Intel Chris. Ya, as you said, I have checked the 2nd and 3rd points already earlier and might have to work it out with Mentor itself.

On the third point, yes I have observed this in some of the earlier releases and received an Environmental Variable long back as the fix in 2005.3 and the Check Mark Option of 'Enable Gerber Macros' in the Latest Versions.

• 6. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                    Paul_N

Currently we are using 7.9.2 in a productive environment (fairly complex Mobile handsets) and so far no fundamental issues (so far nothing unresolvable equivalent of early days of 7.9.1).

Highlight we use a concurrent design environment for schematics (~4-5 engineers on average per design with DxDesigner+DxDatabook (linked to our PLM system)) and we have noted a significant increase in the front end reliability in this mode. [Same dedicated server for project data and RSCM server]

• 7. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                      bharadwaj.chalamchala

Hi Paul,

Just need a couple of confirmations. Is it Win7 that you are using? Under Dx-Databook, what standard are you using for your Library Management? Is it ODBC or Just an Excel or what? We were about to move to the Environment of EE7.9.2 with Win7, but after checking Dx-Databook with ODBC, we decided against the move as we were facing some issue. (Unable to connect to our Oracle Client.) Just wanted to know if anyone has successfully used Dx-Databook using ODBC.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                        Paul_N

A.-

~40% of systems are Win7 x64

~50% of systems are Win7 x32

~10% of systems are XP x32

B.-

PLM system is Agile (Oracle Based) and we clone/replicatre relevant data in a separate database linked to DxD using ODBC; this is because Agile-Oracle technical support was paranoid with us ODBC linking to the working PLM system version, so we decided to clone relevant DxDatabook data when a change is done in a separate MS access dedicated database.

We have tested DXDatabook ODBC with csv (OK but slow), Excel, MySQL and MS acces PLM database replicas without any issue. For speed purposes and simplicity we end cloning in  a single MS access file (we did not notice any benefit with MySQL). [Oracle DB for previous reasons was out of the question so we did not test]

Not a single issue with DxDatabook and ODBC since system deployment in production (~3 years ago)

• 9. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                          Vern_Wnek

I have seen no issues using DxDatabook and ODBC, with WIndows 7 64Bit in 7.9.2.

If you are still having issues, you should contact support to help you address them.

I also found this Tech Note on the Mentor Support Net that may be of use, as ODBC setup has changed in Windows 7 and it may help with your issue.

http://supportnet.mentor.com/reference/technotes/public/technote.cfm?tn=MG518009

Good Luck,

Vern Wnek

• 10. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                            bharadwaj.chalamchala

Thanks Paul and Vern for the info. We did have a look at all this and our case seems to be slightly different. I am sure we will resolve it with help from Mentor. Currently we are not in a hurry, so All is Well for now.

• 11. Re: Is anyone using EE 7.9.2 in a productive environment?
                              yu.yanfeng

Hi Chris,

There is an issue in 7.9.2 CES Edit-Find and Replace I found today during doing constraints editing.  for example, If you replace a decimal value with an integral value or versa, CES will replace with a very large  value. For example, If you replace 4.5 with 4 for trace width, CES will replace it with 40,000,00. The workaround is that using both integral value or both decimal values. I don't test on update2. This bug may escalated to up-to-coming release, I have logged the SR(# 2423715600).

1.JPG

------------------------------------------

GBS Install Id: 19306
                              Flow Id: EE7.9.2
                              Full Flow Name: Expedition Enterprise Flow
                              Exact Access Date: May 1 2011

GBS Install Id: 19257
                              Flow Id: EE7.9.2
                              Full Flow Name: EDMDCollaborator 2.1.1
                              Exact Access Date: Mar 1 2010

UPDATE Install Info
                              GBS Install Id: 19887