8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 8:33 AM by robert_davies

DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility

Thomas.DeSmit

We are recent converts here, moving from DC>Expedition to DxD/DxDatabook>Expedition. We're running into a problem, and so far, myself and the other librarian are stumped. The problem has to do with displayed properties when placing parts from DxDatabook, in particular, we have some capacitors where we want to display a property "VOLTAGE_CAP", and there are other caps where we do NOT want this property displayed. The parts we want to have that property shown on use a different symbol than the ones where we don't want it shown, and we've edited the symbols to have the property visibility unchecked on the one where we don't want to see the property (also tried to edit the symbol and remove that property on the one where we don't want it to show, didn't work). The problem is that if you check the "visibility" box for a property in the DxDatabook Configuration, it seems to override any settings from the symbols. We've always had a way with past tools to accomplish this, and we'd really like to continue to do this, but right now, we don't know of a solution.

I know if we had separate "tables" for the "show" and "no show" parts, we could do this, but we're trying to avoid that, as that would cause the designer to have to search two "Libraries" (as they are termed in DxDatabook) to find a capacitor, and we'd really like to avoid that.

Anyone been-there/done-that?

Thomas DeSmit

CAD Librarian/PCB Designer

Aeroflex Wichita

• 1. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
          robert_davies

Obvious question maybe, but have you tried without the visibility check box in DxDataBook?

• 2. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
            Thomas.DeSmit

Well, unless I'm missing something obvious (which has been known to happen), if I uncheck the visibility box in DxDatabook config, the property will not be visible for ANY of the parts, regardless of how the symbol is setup. Is there some way to make a property show up on a symbol without the "visibility" box checked in DxDatabook config?

Tom D.

• 3. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
              robert_davies

I haven't tested this, but it is not necessarily so, this 'visibility' check box comes from the pre-Mentor days of DxDataBook where visibility was not controlled in the same way. Unfortunately I will not be able to test this today but will check tomorrow to see if this setting overrides the 'symbol' setting.

• 4. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
                Thomas.DeSmit

Well, with my configuration, if I have the box checked to show visibility of a property, it shows it, regardless of how the symbol is setup. Meaning, if I don't have a property in a symbol, and I have the box checked in DxDatabook config, the property shows up on the symbol, in some random spot around the symbol, sometime even inches away from the symbol. If I have the property in the symbol, and have visibility checked, it shows up where it's defined in the symbol. If I have the property in the symbol, and have the visibility of the property unchecked in the SYMBOL, the DxDatabook "visibility" setting seems to override the settings of the symbol, and the property is displayed when I place the part on the schematic.

I welcome any testing you can do, and hope you come across a solution that has eluded us up to now. Thanks for taking the time to help us sort this out.

Tom DeSmit

Aeroflex

• 5. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
                  ted_casper

This may not apply to your flow but in the PADS flow, you can control this via the <Configure><Preference> Tab.  If the "Maintain Property Visibility" is checked, the symbol can control the visibly of the property.

Property.jpg

You do not want the "name visible" or "value visible" checked however you will need "Annotate" checked in the Library settings.   Hope this works for you.

• 6. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
                    Thomas.DeSmit

Ted,

I think you may have nailed it. I thought I had tried this, and it didn't do what I wanted, but I've just now tried it, and it seems to be what we're looking for. I just hope there aren't any "gotcha" moments down the road that aren't readily apparent right now. For now, I'll mark it as a "correct answer" and hope I don't have to retract it later .

Thanks a bunch.

Tom DeSmit

Aeroflex

• 7. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
                      Thomas.DeSmit

Robert,

I'm still interested to see what your experimentation shows. It's hard to figure out how all the pieces play together; you've got the symbol, the part, the PropDef of the Central Library, the DxDatabook config, the DxDatabook properties, and the Setup/Settings in DxDesigner, which all seem to interact in a way that defies a simple explanation.

Thanks again for your input and time.

Tom DeSmit

• 8. Re: DxDesigner/DxDatabook Properties Visibility
                        robert_davies

Tom,

The check boxes in the main grid forcibly override any other setting, I would suggest you always leave them unchecked. When Mentor acquired DxDesigner there was not the same control of property visibility as you traditionally had in Design Capture, there were global settings and various 'options' to override these global settings such as PINOFF.

As we have developed DxDesigner we have adopted the DC/Central Library mechanism for controlling the visibility, starting with that set in the Symbol (use a placeholder if you need to precisely control this) which may be overridden in the schematic. For properties that don't have placeholders on the symbol, should they be added by back-annotation then the visibility will be set by the property setting from the Property Definition editor and the .prp file and the location will be somewhere near the symbol's origin.

The solution for you has already been provided which is to manage this at the symbol level, have the 'Maintain Property Visibility' checked in the DxDataBook configuration and uncheck the settings from the main grid.

Rob