7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 12:37 PM by Nuri

Report issues

thomas.scharf

I have been generating the standard reports. In the device list the Description column is blank ie, it doesn't seem to be picking up the component descriptions.

We are using connector receptacles with separate crimp pins. Although these are listed as subcomponents they can't be seen anywhere within VeSys Design and they don't appear in the device list or design wire list. I would also like to see wire part numbers listed for wiring.

The reports could also benefit from heading fields at least detailing the project name.

As I have used VeSys for a part wired, part PCB design, I have created 'virtual' wires to show tracking connectivity. These appear on the wirelists with CSA of 0.0 and no wire part number. I would like these wirelist rows to be suppressed.

To support hierarchical schematics I have created split device boxes; half as a small box on the top sheet and half surrounding a subsheet (selecting and pressing 'X' allows you to jump from sheet to sheet). These device boxes appear in the device list with no component part number and I would like to be able to suppress these rows in the list.

I have looked at .....\VeSys\reporter\templates\embedded\vesysconfig.xml

This just seems to contain the script for the Configured Wirelist generation.

Where is the script for the device list?

Regards: Tom

• 1. Re: Report issues
          Nuri

Hi Tom,

You can change the reports, and include custom headings / filtering etc.  There is a community page that describes how custom reports can be authored in VeSys 2.0 (http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-2012) have you looked at this thread?

The XML file in C:\MentorGraphics\VeSys\reporter\templates\embedded\vesysconfig.xml is just for new custom wire lists and unfortunately doesn't control the other standard reports, but as I say they can be modified.

On a final note, the connector sub-components are generally selected and shown in the VeSys 2.0 Harness tool which is why they aren't visible in the Design tool - are you using Harness? 

Thanks,

Nuri

• 2. Re: Report issues
            thomas.scharf

Hi Nuri,

I watched your video on creating custom reports closely. By the time it gets onto Java and NetBeans we have to find project resources and time to work on this. I have the community page open on another tab.

I don't quite understand how I can modify the other reports if I can't get to them? Presumably I would just create new report types under different names which would appear under the report menu. It would be a useful future enhancement if all the reports were available as .xml inside the ...\templates\embedded\  folder.

There is still the issue that in Device list, the Description column isn't populated. This seems to be a bug. To fix that in the output spreadsheet is a lot of work! Please investigate that.

Unlike fixtures, grommets etc, which depend on physical routing within the enclosure and are definitely in the Harness domain, we know at the schematic design stage that we need to terminate wires with crimp contacts and indeed that association is made in Components as Housing sub-components. It is surprising that this information is not visible in VeSys Design or in any of the reports? In the Design Wire List we get our part numbers for the wire and for the connector receptacles at either end. The important parts which are missing at both ends, although the associated info is in the library, are the contact crimps. These crimps are not selected in Harness; they are selected at the connector part creation stage at the start of the project.

I have a feeling that VeSys has a general problem with drilling too deep into the database, and interrogating a component to find associated sub-components is a step too far. Likewise in the library symbol editor, you create, say, a switch symbol, assemble several of them into a relay aux contact block, and then use that with a coil symbol to create a multipart relay symbol. When you look at the finished result the switches aren't there - just the empty contact block. The switches are a layer too far down.

We aren't using Harness yet. Our intention is to output the data from VeSys Design into our 3D MCAD system and then re-import it into Harness to create the form boards.

• 3. Re: Report issues
              thomas.scharf

7 days on, these questions haven't been answered.

I am particularly concerned that in the standard reports, the Description column isn't populated although that information must and does exist in the Components library. One of the major strengths of VeSys is the ability to create these reports (hopefully without manual intervention) in seconds. This is severely compromised by the fact that, having transferred the report into Excel, I have to manually copy the component descriptions, one at a time, from part properties into the Description column. An indicator of why this might be the case is that when you look at the properties for a circuit element the description isn't shown (this would be useful). Instead you have to click on the Details icon so that it fetches the component library data. It appears therefore that Description isn't a field which is embedded within the VeSys Design project.

That being the case, it may not be possible to create any kind of custom report which includes the essential description data?

• 4. Re: Report issues
                Nuri

Hi,

I agree it would be a great enhancement if all the standard reports could be configured via an XML file, the IDEAs website is used for tracking enhancement requests, you should post this idea on there.

As for description in standard reports, that should get solved when we release 2011.1 since "description" will be available for objects in VeSys 2.0 Design (previously they were only available  in VeSys 2.0 Harness).

Also, when you are ready to try VeSys 2.0 Harness you will realise the typical flow is for Harness to develop the complete BOM (including calculation of conductor lengths based on routing within the harness)... that's where the tool does drill down into the library definitions.

Finally, the problem you described with Composite Symbols doesn't sound correct - did you raise an SR with SupportNet? I know you spoke with Paul, but I am not sure of the topic discussed.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 5. Re: Report issues
                  Nuri

Tom,

If you are unable to write a custom report for VeSys 2.0 Design, which could easily interrogate the library, then I would suggest you create a new thread describing the requirements (column1=name, column2=library_description, etc).  Someone from the community might create the report for anyone to use.

Thanks,

Nuri

• 6. Re: Report issues
                    thomas.scharf

Hi Nuri,

I have posted a question to demonstrate the lack of nesting in Symbols.

If I post something here which is a good idea for the next release, I would hope that you or one of your colleagues would pick it up and feed it to your VeSys developers. I have only minimal time to report back to Mentor. I have been down the SR route and have been redirected to Communities and vice-versa. I believe that a number of my observations have resulted in Service pack enhancements.

Please let us know as soon as possible when VeSys 2011.1 will be released. Since this is a major release, our software approval system will want to have access to the download site in order to grant approval.

If your standard reports can't populate the description field is it possible to write a VeSys Design report script to do this?

We need to develop and de-risk in parallel paths as a check to see if we have created component parts and other VeSys elements correctly and to drive the rest of our procurement system. With long lead-time parts we need to get BOMs out with all the detail that's available as soon as possible. I can't verify, for instance, that I have correctly assigned crimp pins to connector shells. The wire lists coming out of Design don't tell the whole story because they don't detail the essential crimps. I have found these lists to be another important way of checking the design. I have found and corrected wires which are missing wire part numbers. The sooner we find these problems the less back-annotation we have to do. Your system of only revealing these elements in Harness doesn't match with our design process which requires that our schematics are complete & released before we go to the next stage.

• 7. Re: Report issues
                      Nuri

Hi Tom,

The best place to suggest new features / enhancements is the IDEAs website (https://mentorideas.brightidea.com/iesd), including IDEAs on these Community pages is not recommeneded as our process looks at the frequency customers ask for a feature, IDEAs allows you to vote for features other customers might have already suggested.

VeSys 2.0 v2011.1 is planned for release at the end of CY2011, so keep an eye out on SupportNet for the notification.

As for reports, if you create a custom report then you can include data from anywhere including the library.

I think your discussion about Design having access to Cavity Component Management (a feature that completes the BOM in Harness), is interesting - in fact there are other customers asking for this, unfortunately however this hasn't been implemented in 2011.1, but we do look at IDEAS to measure interest.

Thanks again,

Nuri