3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2012 10:36 PM by srikanth_thota

Mentor Installer crashes follwing "javaw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".

ping_hao

Have you seen Mentor Installer (old or new) crashes consistently on a machine caused by Java?

• 1. Re: Mentor Installer crashes follwing "javaw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".
          ken_foster

Hi Ping,

I believe this is the same issue that we discussed when you opened a service request. Just to close the loop on this and benefit others in the community, what we found was that having the 'auto-select products with licenses' feature enabled in conjunction with an invalid server in the license path is what caused the crash. You disabled the feature and fixed the license path which prevented the problem, but I'm not clear which one of those things resolved it or if you still have to do both. If the later, then we may still have some investigating to do.

Other things that may cause an error like that:

• A previous instance of the installer or related problem is still running when you try to launch it (reboot should resolve)
          • The version already installed is colliding with the version you are trying to install (remove previous version of the installer)
          • You are trying to launch setup.exe from the .zip archive (extract it first then execute from the extracted folder)

-K

• 2. Re: Mentor Installer crashes follwing "javaw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".
            ping_hao

Ken,

Even though we can't conclude disable the license checker fixes the problem, I'm more inclined with that solution. Because I see users keeping old server names in variables (MGLS_LICENSE_FILE or LM_LICENSE_FILE) much more often, but I have not seen that causes this fatal crash before.

Thank you for the quick narrow down!

PH

• 3. Re: Mentor Installer crashes follwing "javaw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".
              srikanth_thota

Hi,

Other reason could be due to multiple versions of JAVA/JRE installed in the system. Sometimes due to PATH or JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME environment variable settings, installer may pick wrong version of the dll or invalid dll and that causes Mentor Installer to crash. I have seen similar issue and the workaround was uninstalling older version of JRE.