3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 9:04 AM by weston_beal

exporting PDN planes from board sim to line sim

lakshminarayanan.k

I used Hyperlynxv8.1 for the below analysis.

I simulated one of my power plane in Boardsim for doing AC Decoupling analysis.

In the ZPDN impedance profile, there were some ZPDN violations in low frequencies.

As I wanted to add more capacitors to satisfy the PDN target, I had to export this net into linesim.

I was unable to do the same.

Has anyone tried this - exporting power net from Boardsim to Linesim for adding capacitors?

Which version of the tool, it did work?

Do provide your suggestions for the same.

Rgds

Ln

• 1. Re: exporting PDN planes from board sim to line sim
          yu.yanfeng

I use Hyperlynx 8.1.1, but I think this function works in Hyperlynx 8.1. Here is steps:

1) Click Menu Models-Assign Power Integrity Models,assign the interest IC power pin with an AC model and assign the reference net etc.

2) click Menu Export-Net-Export Free-Form Schematic, select the supply you are interest in in the dialo

3) now it will automatically invoke Linesim with supply plane shapes and IC power pins and caps,where you can add additonal caps to run analysis.

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: exporting PDN planes from board sim to line sim
            lakshminarayanan.k

Hi Yanfeng,

Thanks for your reply.

I did the steps you mentioned.

While exporting both my power and GND net to linesim, i get a pop up saying that the 2 nets are shorted and hence it will be renamed as a single net.

In the decoupling wizard, i am not able to proceed as there is only 1 net and no reference available.

Have you tried the same in any Board file exported to linesim? Did it work for you?

Rgds

Ln

• 3. Re: exporting PDN planes from board sim to line sim
              weston_beal

This problem occurs when the two power nets both have shapes on the same layer. LineSim 8.1 only allowed one power net per layer. In LineSim 8.2 the shapes are associated with net names, so the export from BoardSim will work as expected. Watch your SupportPro newsletter (or Steve's announcement here) for the announcement of the 8.2 release very soon.