3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 12:39 PM by carlos.pichardo

Design Touch Pad Rotary

carlos.pichardo

I have tried to make the pad on a touch pad rotary 9.3 (Freescale TSSEVB) very delucion, I tried to import from DXF but I can not make copper, because the shape is not closed!.

This design is available in Gerber and tried to convert from a gerber pads but the pads do not support pads larger than 500 mils.

It's really frustrating!

I have colleagues who use altium and could do the job faster than I as I can do this?

Pads always say that is faster than altium but this time I can prove it!

Anyone know how?

• 1. Re: Design Touch Pad Rotary
          David Ricketts

For DXF files, I use AutocadLT to fix problems like this. You can clean up the file, close shapes using polylines, move the origin around to a useful location, etc., then export it to a compatible version. It's fairly low cost for what it can do.

If you don't want to go that route, you can simply draw the shapes you need with copper, using the DXF file you have already imported as a template. Then use Associate Copper to combine with a terminal to get the pad size you need. I've done dozens of rotary pad designs, so it's not that hard.

• 2. Re: Design Touch Pad Rotary
            jim.granville

carlos.pichardo wrote:

I tried to import from DXF but I can not make copper, because the shape is not closed!.

PADS added Join in 9.3.1, and more origin snaps,  and 9.4 expands 2D features with a better Break.

In 9.3.1 Break was really 'smash into tiny pieces', but now in 9.4.1 you can select a single corner, and break there.

( This is useful for creating PCB break-off attach tongues.)

If those 2D features are still not enough, there are free 2D packages like A9CAD and DoubleCAD that can

join and trim and extend etc on 2D lines.

• 3. Re: Design Touch Pad Rotary
              carlos.pichardo

Ok I do logrago pads,

I tried several free CAD software
              DoubleCAD highly recommended!

steps:
              1 - convert gerber to DXF using CAM350
              2 - DoubleCAD to clear unnecessary parts
              3 - DoubleCAD to join lines when necessary "Join Polyline"
              4 - Layout Pads Import and convert Copper

Thank you very much to all,

Carlos Pichardo