3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 6:54 AM by Pete

is it possible to get datails about the pad stack of pads or vias using basic scripting (pads 2007)

WilliButz

Hello,

i want to write a script (PADS2007) which returns the dimensions and geometry (rectangle, circle etc.) of the smd-pads.

in addition i want to get information about the pad style of vias in my layout.

in a further step i want to use this values to calculate distances between pads etc.

i only found this list of pin proberties

Pin.Application

Pin.Attributes

Pin.Component

Pin.DrillSize

Pin.ElectricalType

Pin.FunctionName

Pin.Glued

Pin.IsSMD

Pin.Name

Pin.Net

Pin.Number

Pin.ObjectType

Pin.Parent

Pin.PlaneThermal

Pin.Plated

Pin.PositionX

Pin.PositionY

Pin.Selected

Pin.SlotLength

Pin.SlotOffset

Pin.SlotOrientation

Pin.TestPoint

but i can´t find information were i get values of the pad stack.

i hope there is someone able to help me.

thanks,

Willi

• 1. Re: is it possible to get datails about the pad stack of pads or vias using basic scripting (pads 2007)
          Pete

The padstack information is not exposed to Visual Basic.  Macros Don't work well for getting information, just for changing it.  You could try exporting ASCII information, then reading from that file.  Pretty cumbersome.  It will be easier to open the ASCII file in Excel, and use the Office VB to manipulate the data.

But if you use the Verify Design tool, you will at least know your minimum distance (design rule settings), any spacing that violates the design rules will show the actual distance in the Verify Design dialog box.

• 2. Re: is it possible to get datails about the pad stack of pads or vias using basic scripting (pads 2007)
            WilliButz

hello,

thank you for the answer.

the problem is that we have different spacing rules for the bga as we have in the surrounding pcb and we have some conditional rules for special nets.

with "verify design" i get a lot of violations in the area of the bga and so i must import other rules as .asc to control the bga-area (traces/vias between balls)

my idea was to solve this via a basic script in which i calculate errors in the bga-area automatically.

i think that i have to write a script which imports our .asc-rule-file, make "verify design", and save this "real" errors to a document before importing the original rule-file.

Willi

• 3. Re: is it possible to get datails about the pad stack of pads or vias using basic scripting (pads 2007)
              Pete

No need for a script.  You can set separate design rules by component.  Set your global SMD>trace clearance to 8 mils, set your  BGA SMD>Trace to 5 mils.  Autorouting and Dynamic routing, and Verify Design will respect the BGA Rules.  You must have the Advanced Rules option, and this only work in PADS Router, not PADS Layout.  But if you are using BGAs, you shoudl have the advanced rules, and you should be routing in the Router anyway.

I'd be very wary of using VB scripts as DRC.  There's a good reason software developers run thousands of hours of beta testing before releasing something as critical as a DRC routine. It would be very easy for you to miss some minor detail that could give you false results.  Plus, your VB routine will not help the routing tools at all, so you are going to spend a lot of time swapping rule sets and generating a lot of errors.