5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 2:04 PM by bruce.northrop

Thermal ties

bruce.northrop

How can I get my thermal ties on component pads to be orthogonal??  All the boards I've done so far have orthogonal ties (still fairly new to PADS), suddenly this board wants to be diagonal.  Holes are OK, I can switch back and forth between orthogonal and diagonal.  Component pads are stuck on diagonal.  I CAN change the width of the tie, just not the direction.  Any suggestions??  Board needs to go out yesterday......

Thanks,

Bruce

• 1. Re: Thermal ties
          yan_killy

Hello Bruce,

In Tools - Options select Thermals. In the right pane you will see Drilled Thermals SMT Thermals columns. For each style pad (round, square, etc.) you can assign to be Orthogonal, Diagonal, Flood Over, or No Connect and control the way thermals spokes atached based on type of pad and its shape. Also pay attention below the table what items has check marks next to them.

I hope you get your board to fabrication soon!

Regards, Yan

• 2. Re: Thermal ties
            bruce.northrop

Hi Yan,

Yes, I have tried adjusting these settings and it doesn't want to change.  The left side, for drilled holes will change.  The right side for pads will not.  Do I need to maybe select the type of pad in the drop down menu?

I'm away from my work PC at the moment, so can't really try it.

Thanks,

Bruce

• 3. Re: Thermal ties
              yan_killy

Bruce,

In SMT Pad column select next to shape of pad and double click on Orthogonal untill it will drop down so you can pick a different style.  If it is still not working, call Customer Support Department tomorrow. It is hard to debug it with out seeing it. If you can send them the design and it will speed up the process.

Regards, Yan

• 4. Re: Thermal ties
                bruce.northrop

Hi Yan,

Thanks for your help.  I will try it tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

Bruce

• 5. Re: Thermal ties
                  bruce.northrop

Got this fixed.  I had to use the drop down menu and define the direction for each pad shape.

Thanks!