2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2012 6:10 AM by jduquette

How do I keep board outline on all layers but remove holes and contours

tyrone.piper

I am using PADs 9.3.1

HELP !! I need to remove contours and drilled holes from my routing layer gerbers but I wish to maintain the bourd outline. 

My PCB design mounting holes have been placed as board cut outs IS THIS CORRECT?

The problem with the board cut outs on the routing layers is that the gerber files produced have a copper ring around the hole on the gerber.

Should the holes be placed as something other than board cut outs?  ie On Expedition for instance holes and contours appear on seperate layers.

THANKS

• 1. Re: How do I keep board outline on all layers but remove holes and contours
          tyrone.piper

Perhaps I should ask, how do you create a hole or a contour? Prevoiusly I have used Expedition and in that package you simply add a mounting hole and specify its dimensions.

• 2. Re: How do I keep board outline on all layers but remove holes and contours
            jduquette

Personally I define the mounting holes as components in the schematic; that way if I need to connect them to a net (such as chassis ground) I can make the connection.  Others like to define them as components only in the layout.

There are lots of ways you can do this.  If you are concerned about the metal in the inner layers, check your padstack for the mounting holes.  you can probably modify it and remove the inner layer copper.

Check your Gerber definintion in the CAM section <File><Cam>(select a document)<Edit><Layers>.  You can use multiple layers to generate each Gerber file, and you have a variety of options for what comes from each layer.  Board outline has its own selection button so it can be selected indepent from all other layers.