6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 10:59 PM by Florin

Invalid HostID

Florin

Hi,

I recently experienced a strange licensing situation:

- I installed ModelSim Designer on Windows7 64 bit and (ModelSim Designer is not oficialy supported on Win7 )  . I have a dongle nodelocked license and after I installed the software I used Licensing Wizard to verify the license . Every feature was found , the hostID reported as matched so that I expected no licensing troubles further.

When I launched ModelSim Designer  the License Note window appeared and followinq messages inside:

The following FLEXlm errors were found:
           Server D:\MODELTECH\License.txt: Invalid host
        The hostid of this system does not match the hostid
        specified in the license file
      Feature:       msimdesigner_c
      Hostid:        FLEXID=9-17375ad0
      License path:  D:\MODELTECH\License.txt
      FLEXlm error:  -9,57.  System Error: 22 ""
      For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
      available at "www.macrovision.com".

Server C:\flexlm\license.dat: Invalid host
        The hostid of this system does not match the hostid
        specified in the license file
      Feature:       msimdesigner_c
      Hostid:        FLEXID=9-17375ad0
      License path:  C:\flexlm\license.dat
      FLEXlm error:  -9,57
      For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
      available at "www.macrovision.com".

I double checked the license file and the hostID's match. The license file is correctly pointed. I use the last License Manger software and the dongle is working properly.

Have you ever met something similar? Any suggestions for solving it? Could it be un unpredicted behavior due to unsuported platform(Win7 64bit)?On Windows 7 32 bit ModelSim designer crashes invoking preference migration issue.

Thanks in advance,

Florin

• 1. Re: Invalid HostID
          Sravan_Kumar

Florin

I experienced the same kind of error in other products but not in Mentor Products

and i got this when i remotely install the license server using windows remote desktop

and if we install it directly it will work

• 2. Re: Invalid HostID
            guy_wettstein

Florin,

It's likely that the version of the licensing components included with Modelsim Designer are unable to read the hardware key's hostid on 64-bit Windows 7. You might try updating your hardware key driver and the mgls.dll within the Modelsim Designer tree. The following docs show how to do both tasks:

Using the Mentor Install Program (MIP) to Update Your Hardware Key Driver (Video)

How to update the Mgls.dll file using the Mentor License Utility

I can't guarranty this will work though as it's an unsupported configuration. If you're trying to use the software with a Mobile Compute license via a Remote Desktop session, it won't work. That configuration is unsupported as well. However, you will get an error that says "Terminal Server remote client not allowed".

Best Regards,

Guy

• 3. Re: Invalid HostID
              Florin

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunatelly even after udating mgls.dll file the same error message occurs.

I got the LM_license_file variable pointing to the license file, the license file is correct, the dongle is well working.

I have nodelocked uncounted license so, is not important the lmgrd and mgcld. However I upgraded the license manager softaware also to Flexnet11.10

The problem is still there. Do you have any ideea to further prroceed?

Many thanks,

Florin

• 4. Re: Invalid HostID
                Sravan_Kumar

Florin

you can raise a service request in supportnet

• 5. Re: Invalid HostID
                  guy_wettstein

Florin,

You can test your uncounted license/hostid combination independent of Modelsim Designer using the pcls_ok utility within our licensing software package (Start > All Programs > Mentor graphics Licensing or C:\MentorGraphics\Licensing). Just give it msimdesigner_c as the Feature and click Apply. This will at least confirm that licensing is working. My concern is that the application is too old to support the platform you're running. If the pcls_ok test fails, you can set MGLS_DEBUG_LOG_DIR to C:\Temp or some other folder and examine the log file.

Best Regards,

Guy

• 6. Re: Invalid HostID
                    Florin

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

The strange thing is that I tested the feature , in fact all license features with pcls_ok and all of them can be checkout . In conclusion , I also thing that the licensing integrated in application is too old (flexlm) and probably not supported on windows 7.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Florin